Robber jailed after third chilling attack on pensioners

editorial image

A ROBBER who punched and tied up a 78-year-old woman before threatening to torture her pet dog has previously been jailed for two similar attacks on lone pensioners.

Career criminal Anthony Edward Wahab, 43, tied up and gagged the terrified pensioner in her Hartlepool home after threatening to cut off her dog’s ears.

Wahab made the 
l Turn to Page 5

chilling threat to the 78-year-old victim after he conned his way into her home.

He sneaked into the victim’s home in Lister Street, Hartlepool, after offering to clear snow from outside her house.

The victim agreed and closed her door to get some money from her purse.

But when she opened the door again he had disappeared.

She suddenly found herself face to face with Wahab, who has convictions for similar sickening burglaries of OAPs, upstairs after he had let himself in.

He assaulted the pensioner before he tied her up and gagged her after he threatened to cut the ears of her beloved pet dog.

The low-life thug then escaped with a small amount of money he took from a bag.

Wahab was arrested within a day of the shocking attack on January 26.

He pleaded guilty to the robbery when he appeared at Teesside Crown Court yesterday.

Wahab has a history of burglaries and thefts on his record, all against vulnerable pensioners.

In January 2000, he was jailed for three years for a heroin-fuelled burglary of a 79-year-old woman in the Grayfields area of Hartlepool.

The victim was confronted by him in her kitchen after he had taken numerous tablets.

In 2002, Wahab was locked up for another six years after he and another crook ransacked the home of a 90-year-old woman in Seaton Carew.

A trial was told how they shouted verbal abuse and threatened the pensioner as they stole a watch, brooches, and other jewellery including an engagement ring.

Wahab was on licence at the time for the previous burglary.

He was found guilty of aggravated burglary.

Wahab, of Rydal Street, Hartlepool, now faces another lengthy spell behind bars for his latest crime.

He was remanded in custody and the Recorder of Middlesbrough Judge Simon Bourne-Arton ordered a pre-sentence report.

He will be sentenced on a date yet to be decided.