A rubbish fire which started in the back garden spread to a home.
Two appliances from Stranton Fire Station and another from Cleveland Fire Brigade's base on the Headland were called to Bodmin Grove, off Throston Grange Lane in Hartlepool, to reports of a waste fire.
When they arrived, they discovered they blaze had spread to the property.
Two crew members wearing breathing apparatus used a jet to put out the fire and a fan was then drafted in to clear the area of smoke fumes.
The call out happened just before 4am today.