Savage attack on nightclub reveller

A REVELLER suffered a fractured cheek after being attacked by three men in a Hartlepool nightspot.

Victim Neil Gale was left unconcious after being punched, kicked and stamped on the head as he walked up Church Street in the town centre.

While on the way to a nightclub, Mr Gale was suddenly punched in a bar doorway by Nathan Mekins, 21.

The blow knocked him to the ground, where he was then attacked by two other men.

The motive for the assault remains unclear.

Jacqueline Edwards, prosecuting at Teesside Crown Court, said: “After landing on the ground, Mr Gale recalls being kicked to the face.

“He felt immense pain in his left cheek, then appears to have lost conciousness as he has no recollection of what occurred afterwards.”

A doorman who was on duty then saw Gavin Stamper, 20, kick the victim twice in the head before stamping on his head.

The doorman grabbed hold of Stamper until police arrived.

A special police constable also saw Kenneth Ward, 20, kick Mr Gale twice in the head while he lay on the ground.

The victim was taken to hospital where it was found Mr Gale had a complex fracture of the left cheek, as well as bruising around his left eye.

Paul Cleasby, mitigating for Mekins, who admitted actual bodily harm, said: “He regrets very much his involvement, but he is a young man with a positive side to his character.

“Nobody knows quite how this incident flared up.”

References told how Mekins helped others and has raised money for community improvements in the past.

Stamper has also worked with youth outreach programmes and was described by a friend as “a caring gentle giant”.

Adrian Strong, mitigating for Stamper, said: “He has recognised that for whatever reason he involved himself and he shouldn’t have.

“He has now taken steps to modify his behaviour and does not go out at all socialising late at night.”

Ward, 20, was recalled to custody on his arrest for breaching a suspended sentence in 2009.

Andrew Turton, mitigating for Ward, said: “It was quite clearly an impulse decision on his part to become involved in something which probably didn’t concern him.”

He added drink and drugs had been partly to blame.

Ward, of Lime Crescent, Hartlepool, was given eight months youth custody after admitting grievous bodily harm.

Stamper, of Milbank Road, Hartlepool, was given nine months prison, suspended for a year, 200 hours unpaid work and a three-month curfew, also for GBH.

Mekins, of Lamberd Road, Hartlepool, was given four months prison, suspended for a year, with supervision.

Judge George Moorhouse said: “Behaviour like that in city centres cannot be acceptable.

“As a result of the kick or stamps, this man fractured his cheekbone, a very unpleasant injury.”