Serial danger driver raced at twice the limit to escape police

A danger driver led police on a 10-mile chase at more than twice the speed limit which led to two police cars being damaged.

Friday, 10th June 2016, 5:00 am
Updated Monday, 13th June 2016, 12:27 pm
He appeared at Teesside Crown Court.
He appeared at Teesside Crown Court.

Shaun Hutchinson drove at 70mph through Hart village and carried out a haandbrake turn to escape chasing police.

Even after officers deployed a Stinger device to stop him he carried on with two punctured tyres.

He was given a suspended prison sentence after Teesside Crown Court was told he has reached ‘rock bottom’ in his personal life.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prosecutor Louise Harrison said: “Police were on the lookout for Hutchinson’s MG ZR car after it failed to stop in Easington Road in Hartlepool.

“It was pursued towards the A179, then onto the A19 towards Trimdon, passing through the 30mph limit village at 70mph.

“Hutchinson did a handbrake turn back towards the A179, by which time numerous police vehicles were involved in the pursuit.

“The Stinger device was deployed, it punctured the tyres as it is supposed to do, but did not stop Hutchinson.

“Police used two of their cars to box in the MG in Hart village, during this manoeuvre damage was done to the police cars costing £1.830 to repair.”

Hutchinson, 31, admitted dangerous driving, and driving without insurance, both on March 13.

He admitted breach of bail by failing to turn up for his last court appearance.

Hutchinson has a previous conviction for dangerous driving.

Martin Scarborough, defending, said in mitigation: “The driving was late at night when perhaps there were not many people about.

“Mr Hutchinson had gone to a Tesco store to buy food, stupidly he panicked at the sight of the police even though he had a licence.

“He has mental health issues, and has struggled in custody these last few days after being arrested for breaching bail.

“He is effectively homeless having been evicted, and has been sofa surfing in Hartlepool for the last few weeks.”

Judge Stephen Ashurst sentenced Hutchinson to nine months in custody, suspended for two years, 100 hours of community work, and 15 days of rehabilitation activity.

The judge told him: “This was a bad piece of dangerous driving, and no doubt the public will have to pay for the damage to the police cars.

“It strikes me you have reached rock bottom, you have significant mental health problems, you are not seeing your children, and you are homeless.

“Your first time in custody has also had an impact on you.

“I have concluded the public will be better served by getting you on the straight and narrow, and by you doing work for the community.

“Breach any terms of the orders and the sentence will be activated.”

Hutchinson, formerly of Rodwell Street, Trimdon Station, now of no fixed abode, was banned from driving for two years, and must take an extended test if he wishes to drive after the ban has expired.