‘Sick thug tried to bite off my ear’

editorial image

THESE are the horrific injuries a teenager suffered after his ear was bitten apart in a savage attack.

Kenny Grigor needed 27 stitches to save his left ear and also suffered a broken nose in the sickening assault near to the Victoria Arms Pub, on Hartlepool’s Headland.

Kenny Grigor

Kenny Grigor

The 18-year-old’s ear was held together with just a plaster as he waited to see medics who eventually knitted it back together.

Kenny said he was “very scared” as he was punched and bitten after an argument broke out while he was stood with his girlfriend, Demi Leigh Milburn, 16, in Northgate.

The former St Hild’s School pupil said: “A lass started on me and then a lad came out of the pub and attempted to bite my ear off.

“It was really quite bad and there was a lot of blood. My ear was just hanging off.

“Why would you bite someone? It’s sick.”

Kenny went to One Life Hartlepool, in Park Road, for emergency treatment after the attack last month.

He spent two hours there before being sent to James Cook University Hospital, in Middlesbrough, to see plastic surgeons.

It was a further three hours before Kenny could go home.

He is now hopeful that his ear will heal fully, but that the memory of the attack will stay with him for a long time.

Kenny, who lives in Northgate with mum Michelle, 43, and dad Kenny, 47, said: “Even with everything that happened, I can still remember it really well. I don’t think I’ll ever forget it.

“My ear was being held together with just a plaster, the bottom of my ear lobe was hanging off. My nose had been broken as well so it was a very long and sleepless night.

“The surgeons are hopeful that it will fully heal. It’s getting there but I was really worried at the time.”

Police are appealing for witnesses to the assault that took place at around 11pm on Sunday, April 8.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: “An altercation took place with another man and woman who allegedly went on to assault the victim and the 16-year-old girl.”

A 27-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of assault and bailed pending further inquiries.

Any witnesses are asked to contact PC Angela Nicholson, of Hartlepool Police, on the non-emergency 101 number or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.