Smoke sparks alarm

Share this article

A PENSIONER had a lucky escape earlier today after he dropped a stubbed-out cigarette into a bin.

The elderly man had been smoking the cigarette in his house in Tradegar Walk, in the Throston area of Hartlepool, at 1.30am today.

He dropped the butt into the bin and went to bed, but when the bin started smoking and the fire alarms started to sound, the man realised what had happened and removed the bin and phoned the fire brigade.

Two crews from Stranton Fire Station went to the property, but their services were not needed as the smoking bin did not set alight.

The crew checked the house was safe and left a short time later.