Stray sparks destroy greenhouse

Share this article

EMBERS from a rubbish fire led to a plastic greenhouse going up in flames.

A crew from Peterlee Fire Station spent half an hour at a garden in Filpoke Lane, High Hesleden, where the greenhouse was alight.

Fire chiefs say some rubbish was being burned a few feet away from the 30ft by 24ft-long timber and plastic structure when the wind picked up and sent embers flying towards the greenhouse.

The occupant is said to have tried to tackle the fire himself with a garden hose but contacted the fire service when it got out of hand.

The incident took place around 2.30pm yesterday.