Students rescued from Durham Cathedral roof after drunken prank goes wrong

Durham Cathedral
Durham Cathedral

A senior church figure has issued a strong rebuke after four students had to be rescued from his roof by the emergency services when a drunken prank went wrong in Durham.

Two fire crews and a police helicopter were called to Durham Cathedral after the university students clambered on to the Dean’s House last Friday night, with the rescue estimated to have cost several thousand pounds.

The Dean’s House is part of the cathedral, which dates back to the 11th century and has protected status as a world heritage site.

It is believed the students were mimicking “night climbers” from Oxford and Cambridge who scale walls and buildings for a dare, but they got stuck and were unable to get down.

The helicopter was needed to locate the students on the cathedral buildings.

The Dean of Durham, the Very Rev Michael Sadgrove, said: “I cannot deny that I am deeply concerned that the cathedral has been treated with such disrespect, that Durham University has been brought into disrepute and that the taxpayer has had to bear the costs of a wholly unnecessary emergency call-out.

“But what most worries me is the reckless disregard the students had not only for their own lives but for others, in particular colleagues here at the cathedral and members of the emergency response team.

“Alcohol has obviously played a key part in this dangerous adventure and it is vital that this issue is addressed for the sake of good relations between Durham city and the university, and the welfare of the students themselves.

“Ironically it was other Durham University students who alerted cathedral security staff to the incident. Thank you to them, cathedral staff and the emergency services.”

Durham Police said the students have received a warning for their behaviour.

A force spokeswoman said: “I can confirm that police and fire brigade were called to a group of students who were on the roof of the Dean’s House on Friday evening. These students were helped down by police and fire brigade.

“They attended Durham police station on November6 to meet the neighbourhood police team and were given a warning regarding the consequences of their actions.”

The university is investigating the incident.

Professor Graham Towl, pro-vice-chancellor and deputy warden of Durham University, said: “We are taking this incident very seriously and are currently investigating it in accordance with our internal procedures which includes liaison with the emergency services.”