Sunderland had known about Adam Johnson's admissions for months

Adam Johnson says Sunderland AFC knew the extent of his admissions last May.
Adam Johnson says Sunderland AFC knew the extent of his admissions last May.

Sunderland AFC had copies of Adam Johnson's interview admissions in May last year, it was revealed at his trial today.

Follow our life coverage of the Adam Johnson trial here.
In his first interview with police, Johnson admitted to officers that he had passionately kissed an under-age girl, who was 15, with tongues and engaged in flirty messages with her on WhatsApp and Snapchat.

Some of the messages from Johnson said he just wanted to get her jeans off, wanted a naked photograph and wanted to get in the back seat of his car with her.

Adam Johnson insists he's telling truth about under-age sex claims

Re-examining the footballer today, Orlando Pownall QC, defending, asked Johnson of his knowledge on what the club knew, and when it was given the information.

Mr Pownall told jurors that he first met Johnson on May 4 last year - and the player confirmed that SAFC chief executive Margaret Byrne was also at this meeting.

The barrister asked Johnson if Ms Byrne had copies of his police interview transcripts, WhatsApp messages and interviews with the girl and "others" at this meeting.

Johnson said: "Yes."

He also said that he admitted kissing the 15-year-old fan on this occasion.

The 28-year-old then confirmed that there had been no discussions at that meeting or afterwards about him being "summarily dismissed".

He said he only became aware of his contract termination on February 11 this year - the day after he entered two guilty pleas at Bradford Crown Court.

There were no discussions with anyone at the club about what he had admitted, he said, or what "the consequences" would be before that point.

Johnson added: "My dad got a phone call and told me they had terminated my contract."

He later received a "one or two line" email.

The trial continues.