Teen hit by car in street

The scene of a RTA in Murray Street
The scene of a RTA in Murray Street

A TEENAGER is recovering in hospital after being hit by a car in a busy town centre street.

The 18-year-old man was hit by a Vauxhall Zafira car, being driven by a 20-year-old woman, in front of shocked onlookers in Hartlepool’s Murray Street.

The drama happened at 8.50am yesterday and ambulance paramedics and police raced to the scene.

Thankfully the town teenager escaped with suffered minor injuries, details of which have not been released, and he was transported by ambulance to the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton.

College student Ebony Taylorson witnessed the drama unfold as she stood outside pet grooming business Woof ‘n’ Ready where she is currently working on a three-week placement.

The 17-year-old said: “It was a huge shock because I didn’t know if he was alive or dead at first.

“I was waiting outside the shop for it to open and I saw the man crossing the road and then he collided with the car bonnet and landed on the pavement.

“I called the ambulance and the police and paramedics arrived very quickly.

“It looks like he has had a lucky escape and I’m just pleased he seems okay.”

Ebony, who is currently studying Level 3 animal management at East Durham College, added: “I was just waiting outside minding my own business and then it happened.

“It isn’t something you would normally expect to see and it was traumatic.

“It left me a little shaken.”

Ebony lives in Byron Street, Easington Colliery, with dad Stuart Taylorson, 38, and sister Jasmine Taylorson, 16, who attends Easington Community College.

It is believed the 18-year-old man was walking by himself at the time.

The collision happened in Murray Street, close to the junction with Sandringham Road which is opposite Woof ‘n’ Ready.

A spokesman for Cleveland Police said: “The incident happened in Murray Street when a man was in collision with a Vauxhall Zafira car.

“He suffered minor injuries only.”

A spokeswoman for the North East Ambulance Service confirmed paramedics were called at 8.51am after reports of one casualty involved in a road traffic collision with a car.