Ten years for slash attack on girlfriend

Carl Lunn
Carl Lunn

A CRAZED knifeman is beginning a 10-year jail term today after a horrific slash attack on his girlfriend after they argued over a computer game and loud music.

Drunken Carl Lunn repeatedly knifed petrified Katie Sturdy with one hand while pinning her to the floor with the other.

After bringing the attack to a close, he left her lying soaked in blood while he took the dog out for a walk, only calling for help when he returned.

Lunn had claimed her former boyfriend had burst into the house and carried out the stabbing.

The suspect was ruled out by police after they spoke to the ex, and confirmed through CCTV footage he had been somewhere else at the time.

Despite repeatedly denying what he had done, 23-year-old Lunn admitted a charge of wounding with intent on the basis she had struck him first after a row over the volume of music.

While the prosecution at Durham Crown Court queried the basis of his plea, Judge Peter Kelson said he would deliver his sentence without the need for a trial of issue.

Oliver Thorne, prosecuting, said the attack took place on January 20 when his girlfriend of three months Ms Sturdy, 21, picked up a £500 loan. They bought a computer game and a large amount of booze, much of which they drank on their return to home to Angus Street, in Easington Colliery.

Mr Thorne said the mood deteriorated after a disagreement over the game then the volume of the music, with Lunn headbutting Ms Sturdy, throwing her to the ground and stamping on her back.

He then returned from the kitchen armed with a knife and slashed her across the face and neck, causing her to lose a large amount of blood.

The force used caused the blade to buckle and the handle to split from the blade.

Ms Sturdy passed out and the court heard Lunn left her and took the dog for a walk.

Despite the brutal assault, the court was told Ms Sturdy refused to give a victim impact statement and has started writing to the defendant while he has been in custody waiting to be sentenced.

Joe Hedworth, mitigating, said Lunn claimed to be the most drunk he could ever remember, with a hazy memory of the incident.

He added that there was an element of provocation, although Lunn admitted he had gone far too far in response and was now sorry for what he had done.

Judge Kelson described the attack as, “gratuitous brutal violence” on a vulnerable victim, made worse by Lunn’s failure to seek urgent medical help and trying to say someone else was responsible.