These kittens were coloured in with pens in shocking act of animal cruelty

Two kittens could have permanent breathing difficulties after they were coloured in with marker pens, a cat rescue centre has said.

Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 10:15 am
Updated Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 11:18 am
Smurf and Shrek.

The one-month-old cats, named Smurf and Shrek in accordance with their brightly dyed coats, were handed into Bradford Cat Watch Rescue in West Yorkshire by police on Monday evening.

Katie Lloyd, care coordinator at the rescue centre, said she could not believe it when the kittens were brought in covered in blue and green ink.

One of the kittens, named Smurf.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She was told the cats were blue and so brought out a nebuliser ready for their arrival, but was "totally shocked" when she discovered they had been drawn on with permanent marker.

"At first I believed I was getting cats with breathing difficulties because they were blue," she said.

But the ink could have a long-term impact on the kittens, who it is believed were "colour-coded" ahead of being thrown to a pack of dogs.

It is believed that players would bet on which animal would die first, and they were coloured so each person's kitten could be identified.

It is believed that the animals may suffer breathing problems as a result of being coloured in.

Read More

Read More
Kittens coloured with pens ready to be thrown to savage dogs

Ms Lloyd continued: "It could have affected the lungs because they were having breathing difficulties when they arrived.

"It could affect the skin, it could cause infections, irritations, it could infect anything really - the whole respiratory system. And psychologically as well, but they don't seem overall psychologically affected."

A lot of the ink on the cat's bodies has now come off, Ms Lloyd said, but added that she was cautious washing their faces.

The kittens have been given numerous baths since being taken in.

"The areas where we're struggling is around the face and the reason for that is we don't want it dripping into the eyes, nose or mouth because, believe me, it's permanent," she said, adding that washing off the ink was now turning her own skin blue and green.

"We don't want them to get it in the eyes because its probably permanent like Sharpie or something like that, a permanent marker. We don't want it to get into the eyes, ears, nose or mouth."

In a statement on the rescue centre's website, Ms Lloyd wrote: "We often consider ourselves to be unshockable... We have dealt with most situations but this is a first."

The rescue centre, which has had a flurry of donations after the rescue, will seek to re-home the kittens when they are ready.

Shrek the kitten.
One of the kittens, named Smurf.
It is believed that the animals may suffer breathing problems as a result of being coloured in.
The kittens have been given numerous baths since being taken in.
Shrek the kitten.