Tributes paid to crash mum

TRIBUTES have been paid to a mum who died after a horror smash on the M1.

Hartlepool woman Val Newton-Smith, 52, suffered serious head and chest injuries following a crash on the motorway, near Sheffield.

Two tribute pages have been set up on the social networking site Facebook since the tragedy, both called RIP Val Newton-Smith.

On one of the pages, which had attracted more than 60 “likes” by yesterday afternoon, messages were left by Mrs Newton-Smith’s daughters, Beckiee and Shona, and other family members.

Mrs Newton-Smith’s sister, Carole Spence, wrote: “My sister, my friend, my everything.

“I’m heartbroken Val, keep smiling, keep laughing.

“God we shared some fantastic times and some bad ones, but we always got through together.

“I am lost, I love you so much and you knew it, why you, why us, why did you leave me so soon?

“Your heartbroken sisters Carole, Julie xxxxxxxxxxxx sleep tight my darling”.

Her niece, Shannon Hutchinson, added: “Rest in peace auntie Val, gone but never forgotton. I miss you loads already, you were the nicest, funniest person I’ve ever met”.

Other tributes flooded in, including one from Joanne Coles, whose tribute said: “Another beautiful angel taken away too soon.

“RIP Val, always in our hearts and minds xxxxxxx”

Tina Noddings also wrote: “Sweet dreams Val, I’m honoured to have known you xxxx”

Mrs Newton-Smith also leaves behind another daughter, Beth, and husband Peter.

South Yorkshire Police are investigating after the silver Vauxhall Corsa Mrs Newton-Smith was driving crossed the hard shoulder, slid down an embankment and collided with trees before landing on its roof.

Family liaison officers from Cleveland Police have been working closely with their Sheffield counterparts and informed Mrs Newton-Smith’s husband of the tragedy on Easter Sunday.

The incident happened on the northbound carriageway, half a mile south of Junction 21, just after 5.40am on Easter Sunday.

A 40-year-old Scottish man, a passenger in the Corsa, sustained minor cuts and bruises that required treatment at the Northern General Hospital.

A file on Mrs Newton-Smith’s death has been passed to the coroner for the Rotherham district, who said an inquest is yet to be opened.