Tributes to top medic

Dr Johnson Daniel
Dr Johnson Daniel

A RETIRED doctor who cared for thousands of people in Hartlepool has died aged 81.

Dr Johnson Daniel, a consultant anaesthetist who served the town’s hospitals and community for almost two decades, passed away after a short illness on February 20.

Today his family said the much-loved medic was “proud of his time in the town” and had made many friends over the years.

In a statement to the Mail, they said: “He was very proud of his time in the town here. In total he lived in Hartlepool for almost 38 years and made many friends along the way both professionally and socially.

“He will be sadly missed but fondly remembered by all.”

Dr Daniel, who was born in Burma, Asia, lived in Hartlepool for 38 years and worked at the town’s St Hilda’s, Cameron, and University Hospital of Hartlepool, during his career.

He was dedicated to his profession and was passionate about pain relief, which saw him set up the Pain Management Clinic, which won regional acclaim, and that still thrives today.

The popular medic was also instrumental in starting the Intensive Care Unit in town and a specialist anaesthetic recovery unit with specially trained staff.

In 1991, Dr Daniel retired and spent time travelling with his wife, Mary, on holiday, and to visit relatives abroad in India and the United States.

He also enjoyed spending time whenever possible seeing the pair’s two sons, Satish, 50, who lives in Bristol and is a director of logistics for a London-based sportswear firm, and lawyer Ben, who lives in Leeds. Dr Daniel also enjoyed spending time with his four grandchildren, Josh, 18, Ellie, 16, Lucy, 11, and Emily, eight.

The consultant lived in Burma for the first few years of his life but was evacuated as a child to India when the war broke out and Japan occupied the country.

He was educated in the city of Madras where he completed his basic medical training at the University there.

Ben said it was his father’s long-held ambition to further his medical training in anaesthesia in the UK, and to help fund that he first worked in Singapore for six years. There he met Mary, a retired teacher who lives in the West Park area of town, and they married in 1958.

The pair arrived in the UK in 1968 and his first post was at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading where he spent four years, before moving on to the QE2 Hospital, Hertfordshire, where he successfully completed his fellowship in anaesthesia.

After a brief stint there he was then posted as a senior registrar at Middlesbrough General Hospital and after a short period came to Hartlepool as a consultant.

Dr Daniel’s funeral was held on Friday, March 1, at St George’s Reformed Church, in Park Road, Hartlepool, last Friday.