Warning after blaze started when laptop was left charging on a bed

Ridlington Way in Hartlepool. Picture by Google Images.
Ridlington Way in Hartlepool. Picture by Google Images.

Fire chiefs are warning of the dangers of leaving laptops unattended following a house fire in Hartlepool.

Firefighters from Stranton Station were called to a house in Ridlington Way at 2.36pm on Wednesday after a laptop that had been charging on a bed caught fire.

It is believed the airflow to the laptop’s cooling fan had been restricted by the bed causing the unit to overheat.

Phil Lancaster, director of community protection at Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “Fortunately no one was injured in the incident but we want to remind people to be careful with electrical appliances such as laptops.

“In particular, when laptops are plugged in we would urge people to ensure that the laptop’s cooling fan has an unrestricted supply of air at all times to prevent overheating.

“This is the second fire of this kind we have dealt with and in both cases laptops were left on beds while charging. Portable electrical devices such as laptops should be placed on well-ventilated surfaces and never left on beds or sofas.”