Wife lied about pervert husband

Bernard and Fiona Swift pictured in 2002 before pervert shame
Bernard and Fiona Swift pictured in 2002 before pervert shame

A WIFE lied about turning her back on her pervert husband while still living under the same roof, the Mail can reveal.

Fiona Swift, 47, came to the Mail to declare she was ending her 26-year-marriage to child porn convict Bernard for the sake of her grandchildren.

She also told how she would visit him in prison to tell him it was over.

But all the while she knew he had been released from jail and the pair were sharing a home together.

After we confronted the couple Mrs Swift admitted she concocted the whole story in a bid to ward off any further ridicule or abuse.

She maintains she has ended the relationship and today the couple now claim they have gone their separate ways and are living separate lives away from Hartlepool.

Mrs Swift said: “I just didn’t want any more trouble. It was awful having to move from our home. He was living with me, but our marriage had ended. He was just waiting to find somewhere to live and we are both going away to start new lives.

The family were forced to leave their home in the town’s Lancaster Road after it was vandalised.

It followed a wave of protest from residents demanding Swift did not return to the street after being released from his four-month sentence.

Mrs Swift came to the offices of the Mail and began her sham on the day Swift, 53, was released from prison on August 10.

She poured her heart out declaring she would “never take him back”– all the while knowing he was already out of jail and back in the same house.

Prison bosses were unable to confirm any details on prisoner releases to the Mail.

Mrs Swift spoke about the abuse she and her family had suffered from the day her husband was arrested.

And the “threats” she had been subjected to over her husband’s imminent release from Stockton’s Holme House prison where he was serving his sentence after admitting having sickening child porn images on his computer.

She said she wanted to tell the Mail about her marriage breakdown – before she told her husband – in an attempt to draw a line under the “months of hell”.

She told the Mail: “I’ve been put through hell with all of this.... He is due out shortly but I will tell him this weekend that the marriage is over...”

Constantly referring to his future release, she went on to say: “Maybe the residents who have hounded me will read this and have a little bit more understanding.”

But hanging her head in shame she said: “I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. I just wanted people to leave us alone.

“A lot of what I said is true. Our marriage is over. We are going our separate ways. I do want to protect my grandchildren.”

Former storeman Swift was jailed at Teesside Crown Court in June after pleading guilty to charges of making indecent images.

The couple moved to Hartlepool 21 years ago from Scotland for a fresh start after the tragic death of their six-month old son Douglas, who suffered from hydrocephalus.

But in 1997, a campaign was launched to save the life of his daughter Christine, who was five at the time, when she was diagnosed with leukaemia.

An appeal was started to find a bone marrow donor for her, and eventually her older sister Elaine was found to be a match and a successful transplant saved her life.

However, four years later, tragedy struck the Swift family again when Elaine, then aged 15, took her own life with an overdose of painkillers.

Grandmother of 10 Mrs Swift, who was a full-time carer for her husband – who suffers from the spine disorder spondylosis – before he was locked up at Teesside Crown Court, added: “I’m sorry I lied. He had nowhere else to go.”

A defiant Swift added: “I’ve left the town now and so has my wife. But I will return one day.”