Woman believes she's lucky to be alive after jealous boyfriend's violent attack

A jealous boyfriend has been jailed for a shocking attack on his partner which lasted for four hours.

Friday, 18th November 2016, 5:29 pm
Updated Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 10:21 am
Michael Dixon
Michael Dixon

Michael Dixon threw a TV at his then girlfriend, punched her, banged her head off a wall, tried to strangle her and smashed up her flat. She said she thought he was going to kill her.

Dixon, 28, flew into a rage after reading messages to and from male friends on the woman’s mobile phone after they returned from a pleasant night out together in Hartlepool.

Teesside Crown Court heard that Dixon swiped his girlfriend’s thumb on her phone while she was sleeping to unlock her mobile.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She woke up to find him towering over her on the bed.

Jenny Haigh, prosecuting, said: “He was screaming at her and punching her around the face. She had no idea why he was doing this.

“He pulled her to the end of the bed, he was screaming at her and started smashing things around the bedroom.

“He picked up her television and threw it at her. She put her arm up to protect her.”

The attack moved into the hall where Dixon banged her head off the wall and also threw her to the floor.

Ms Haigh added: “He put his arms around her neck and started to strangle her.”

The victim suffered extensive bruising and swelling including to her face and still suffers flashbacks of the ordeal.

Referring to the impact it has had on her, Ms Haigh added: “She said she had no idea he could be so evil. She said she honestly believes she is lucky to be alive.”

Dixon, formerly of Acclom Street, Hartlepool, admitted actual bodily harm assault and criminal damage from September 16.

Stephen Constantine, mitigating, said he had shown genuine remorse and completed a domestic violence course while on remand.

He added: “As far as violence within the domestic setting is concerned it was out of character.”

Jailing Dixon for two years, Judge Simon Phillips said the victim was vulnerable as she was asleep adding: “This was indeed very much a sustained assault upon her.”