Yob in a spin over washer

A YOB beat his friend up in the street in a row over a washing machine.

Daniel Burnside rained punches down on Dominic Pyle while telling him: “I told you this day would come, I said I would get you on your own.”

Mr Pyle was punched three or four times before Burnside walked off, Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard.

Justices were told that Mr Pyle had known Burnside for around four years and had agreed to let Burnside stay at his home for one or two nights a week before he moved out in February.

Prosecutor Joanne Hesse said Burnside had left a washing machine at the property and Mr Pyle had told him to collect it, but he had not.

Mrs Hesse said: “The defendant had been making threats to assault him and on April 11, Mr Pyle left his address at about 10.30am,

“He was walking along Birch Walk in Hartlepool and became aware of someone running up from behind him.

“When he turned round he received a punch to the right-hand side of his head and fell to the grass.

“The male then continued punching him to the head, shouting ‘I told you this day would come, I said I would get you on your own.”

Mr Pyle was punched a further three or four times before Burnside walked off.

He suffered bruises to the face and a cut around his nose, as well as swelling.

The incident was reported to the police and Burnside was arrested.

In police interview, Burnside, who was sentenced to a detention and training order in 2007 for common assault, as well as a supervision order for assault occasioning actual bodily harm the same year, said he had left items belonging to his daughter at the address.

He said he had asked for them back but claimed that Mr Pyle said he had sold them.

Burnside, of Pine Grove, Hartlepool, admitted assault by beating on April 11.

Representing himself and in custody on a warrant for not turning up to court, he said: “I’m sorry for the assault but we came to the police for help regarding possessions that went missing and were told it was a civil matter.

“But I’m sorry it went the other way.

“I have been out of trouble for three years.”

Chairman of the magistrates’ bench Christine Mulgrew sentenced Burnside to an 18-month community order and ordered him to pay £50 compensation and £85 costs.