Yob spared jail despite third breach

MAGISTRATES spared sending a Hartlepool yob to jail – despite him breaching a suspended prison sentence for a third time.

Daniel Bragman was given a year-long supervision order and a 12-week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, in June last year for a string of charges including possession of an offensive weapon, aggravated vehicle taking without the owner’s consent, possession of drugs and failing to provide police with a specimen.

But since then, the 19-year-old has committed a further three offences, driving while disqualified, drunk and disorderly and failing to attend court.

Bragman was dealt with for the driving while disqualified charge at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court on March 9, where justices did not activate the suspended sentence and send him to jail.

Instead, they added 60 hours to the existing supervision order, which the court heard he has kept just 14 appointments out of 24.

Bragman was then charged with being drunk and disorderly after police initially spotted him with an open bottle of alco-pop outside the Lifestyle Express store in Warren Road “causing problems for the shopkeeper”.

Ninety minutes later he was seen in Garside Drive shouting and swearing and he was warned about his behaviour by an officer who was patrolling the area.

Prosecuting, Paula Sanderson told the court: “The defendant was then seen being disorderly in Arkley Crescent shouting in the street.

“And later he was observed being pursued by an irate resident. He was arrested and charged with being drunk and disorderly.”

Bragman was bailed to attend court for the offence on Monday, March 14, but failed to show up.

But he handed himself in and was brought before the court the next day in custody.

Mitigating, Stuart Haywood urged justices to spare him prison and to give him a curfew.

He said: “Daniel did breach bail, but as soon as he realised he was supposed to be in court that morning he immediately handed himself in. He basically forgot to come.

“As for the drunk and disorderly charge, he’s extremely embarrassed and sorry for what he’s done.”

Chairman of the magistrates’ bench, Kevin Armstrong, sentenced Bragman, of Winterbottom Avenue, Hartlepool, to a 28-day 7am to 7pm curfew to live at his parents address in Beaconsfield Street, on the Headland.

He was also fined £60, ordered to pay £85 costs and pay a £15 victim surcharge.

Mr Armstrong told Bragman: “We are aware that this is the third breach of your suspended sentence and our starting point is to activate it and send you to prison.

“However, we’ve taken into account the fact that it’s 10 months into the sentence and there has been reasonable compliance with supervision.

“Another offence and this suspended sentence is likely to be activated, you are not leaving the court with much option.”