Yorkshire Terriers rescued from fire at Hartlepool home

Fire fighters were called to the scene at around 3.30pm.
Fire fighters were called to the scene at around 3.30pm.
Share this article

Two dogs were rescued from a house in Hartlepool after a pressure cooker was left switched on.

Fire officers were called to the home, in Skelton Street, West View, at 3.30pm today after neighbours were alerted by the sound of a smoke alarm.

The front door of the property had to be kicked down and two Yorkshire Terrier dogs were rescued by fire fighters.

No one was inside the property at the time and, apart from the damage to the door and slight smoke damage in the kitchen, there was no major damage to report.

Acting Watch Manager Steven Kitching said: "A pan was left unattended - and it is important to stress that working smoke alarms saved the lives of these two dogs.

"If anyone needs a smoke alarm we will come out and see you."

The fire was under control in around 30 minutes, Watch Manager Kitching added.

If you want a smoke alarm fitted, or would like the fire brigade to carry out a free fire safety check, call 01429 872311 to request an appointment.