New Hartlepool boxer Amy Currell earns praise from legend Amanda Coulson

BOXING CLEVER: Amy Currell. Picture by FRANK REID
BOXING CLEVER: Amy Currell. Picture by FRANK REID

HARTLEPOOL’s latest female boxer has won praise from one of Britain’s greats after an exciting debut.

Amy Currell was edged out at Hartlepool Catholic Club’s first show of the year.

But the 21-year-old displayed great skill and heart in equal measures in her defeat to Natasha Taylor at Owton Manor Social Club.

Currell had Hartlepool’s first female boxing star, Amanda Coulson, in her corner at the Wynyard Road venue and she was delighted.

“Amy can take a lot of positives from her first bout,” Coulson told SportMail.

“She showed a lot of guts and a lot of ability. She did herself proud and if she keeps training hard, she’ll do very well.”

The Catholic Club boxer excited her coach with a superb attacking flurry in the opening round.

Amy rocked the head back of her rival from the Hull’s St Paul’s Academy with some excellent right crosses and her eye-catching shots gave her an immediate edge.

But when she let her guard open, Taylor got through with some head shots of her own and, such was the accuracy, it prompted the referee to give Amy a standing eight count.

It meant it all came down to the last round. Coulson sent her out with the instruction to put the pressure on and she followed orders and the final two minutes had the packed audience on the edge of their seats as both fighters threw combination after combination.

Currell and Taylor both received a tremendous ovation at the final bell, with the Hull boxer edging a very close battle with a split decision.

There was pain but ultimately ecstasy for Catholic Club’s other debutant, Danny Collins, when he went in with Tom Heilbron in an explosive contest. Both boxers were clearly pumped up and they went for it from the first bell.

Collins forced the South Durham fighter back onto the ropes with a strong assault only for Heilbron to catch the home boxer flush on the chin with a cracking right counter.

Referee Dean Hassan moved to give Collins a standing eight count but just as he began counting, Heilbron struck him again.

Mr Hassan called out “stop” but Heilbron continued to throw, giving the official no alternative but to disqualify him and award victory to Collins.