Carl Magnay 6-game FA ban: ‘Disappointed’ Hartlepool United will NOT appeal ‘harsh’ ruling

Carl Magnay is sent off at Wycombe Wanderers.  Picture by FRANK REID
Carl Magnay is sent off at Wycombe Wanderers. Picture by FRANK REID

Hartlepool United will NOT be appealling against the six-game suspension the Football Association have given Carl Magnay.

The FA banned the 26-year-old after finding him guilty of spitting following his late sending-off at Wycombe Wanderers last month.

If anyone had a chance to look at the DVD, it’s very, very harsh

RONNIE MOORE

Pools had played the midfielder last Saturday against Luton Town while they awaited the written report from the FA.

After digesting that and taking advice, the club have decided against an appeal.

“Carl’s ban will stand,” said Pools boss Ronnie Moore at his media conference today.

“We have the FA reason and we know why he’s been banned.

“We have taken legal advice on it and, unfortunately, we feel we cannot appeal it on the advice we have been given.”

Moore and Pools feel Magnay has been dealt with “harshly”.

There is no dispute that the former Grimbsy defender spits as he goes off but the club and manager back the player’s view that he was not spitting at anyone.

“It’s disappointing,” said Moore. “If anyone had a chance to look at the DVD, it’s very, very harsh.

“To get three games for the sending-off which was debatable anyway.

“Then the spitting at, or in the vicinity of where supporters were? You know if someone spits on you there’s a reaction – if you look at the DVD, there’s no reaction.

“So it’s harsh, but we have to take it on the chin and move on.”