Ebbsfleet United 3 Hartlepool United 0: Pools suffer biggest league defeat

Devante Rodney takes on Jack Connors. Picture by GARETH WILLIAMS/ AHPIX
Devante Rodney takes on Jack Connors. Picture by GARETH WILLIAMS/ AHPIX

Craig Harrison experienced a half-year anniversary to forget as Hartlepool United were well beaten at Ebbsfleet.

Harrison took over six months ago but today witnessed his heaviest National League defeat, just days after his biggest victory.

Ebbsfleet went ahead midway through the first period when Myles Weston's shot deceived Scott Loach and ended in the back of the away net.

The keeper should have done better when man of the match Sean Shields delivered a 68th-minute cross into the six-yard box which Danny Kedwell headed in.

Late on, Luke Coulspon slotted in a third to put the icing on the cake.

Harrison today named an unchanged XI for the first time since the start of October.

The Pools boss had the luxury of neing able to send out the in-form team who thumped Halifax Town 4-0 in mid week.

It meant Blair Adams (hip) and Jonathan Franks (hamstring), who missed the win over the Shaymen, did not make the trip to Stonebridge Road.

Ebbsfleet had the first shot of game in the 11th minute, with Loach taking Weston's shot safely in his tummy.

Pools had their opening sight of goal on 20 minutes but Oates was a mile wide with a grasscutter.

WESTON forced and then scored from the first corner in the 22nd minute.

The right winger brought a cracking save from Loach who tipped over his deflected shot.

Weston took the corner short and got the ball back before curling a shot which Loach missed, a rare mistake from the skipper.

Pools came back with a good spell of possession and Cassidy had a shot blocked by Clark on the half-hour.

Sean Shields went close to a second for Fleet when he flashed a shot just wide of Loach's left stick while at the other end, Donnelly tried his luck but was well off-target.

Pools finally got a sight of Ashmore's goal with two chances in five minutes.

Woods teed up Rodney with a nice ballin the box but Ashmore was down well to his right to save.

There was another opening from the side's first corner, Laing heading just over from Deverdics delivery.

Harrison brought on Tomi Adeloye and Jack Munns but to no effect as Ebbsfleet doubled the lead in the 68th minute.

Shields did superbly to cross from the left side. Loach should really have dealt with it but KEDWELL nodded in from inside the six-yard box.

Pools had appeals for a spot-kick in the 72nd minute when Munns threaded it through to Oates who goes down, but no pen says ref.

The boys in blue needed a goal and they almost got one on 77 minutes following a good run and cross by Oates but Adeloye went wide at far post.

Ebbsfleet sealed the deal eight minutes from time. Weston and Magri enjoyed a good inter-pchange down the right with the ball delivered to COULSON on the edge of the area, the midfielder sweeping a right-foot shot low into Loach's bottom right corner.




Ebbsfleet: Ashmore, Clark, Magri, Rance (Powell 67), Bush, Coulson (Cook 90), Connors, Shields, Drury, Weston, Kedwell (McLean 90)

Unused subs: McCoy, Miles

Goals: Weston 22, Kedwwell 68, Coulson 82

Booked: Magri 45, Shields 55

Pools: Loach, Donnelly, Laing, Harrison, Deverdics, Featherstone (Munns 65), Woods, Newton, Rodney (Adeloye 53), Cassidy, Oates.

Unused subs: Ledger, Hawkins, George

Referee: Sam Purkiss

Att: 1,416