Former Pools boss Danny Wilson set for return in Carling Cup clash

FORMER Hartlepool United manager Danny Wilson’s Carling Cup clash return to Victoria Park “Won’t be a game for the faint hearted”.

Pools were drawn at home in the first round of the competition against the ex-boss’s new club Sheffield United yesterday.

And The Blades’ new manager is warning his League One team that they will have to show plenty of fighting spirit for the visit, likely to be Tuesday, August 9.

Wilson said: “Hartlepool is still a club that’s very fresh in my memory. I’m looking forward to going back.

“The one thing I can say for certain is that it won’t be a game for the faint hearted.

“It’s not an easy place to play if you’re a visiting team.

“They’ll make it tough and they’ll be desperate to put one over on Sheffield United again so we’ll need character.

“I’m sure that, by the time we go there, we’ll be able to show plenty of that.

“The pitch up there is always in excellent condition though so, I firmly anticipate, it’s going to be a match where if you can get the ball down then you can play and knock it around a bit.

“It’s a game that we can win but one where, as this club knows from experience, we can’t take anything for granted.”

It will be a case of deja vu for Pools who faced the then Championship club in the first round of the competition last season.

On that occasion Pools were 2-0 winners with goals from James Brown and Adam Boyd.

Sheffield United went on to be relegated from the Championship last season after boss Gary Speed resigned to manage the Wales national team.

He was replaced by Port Vale’s Mickey Adams but he won only four out of 23 games that doomed them to relegation.

Wilson – a former player and manager with United’s rivals Wednesday – controversially replaced him this summer.

He managed Pools from June 2006 gaining promotion from League One in the 2006-07 season before leaving by mutual consent in December 2008.

He took Swindon to the League One play-off final in 2010 but resigned his post in March this year after a poor run of form had seen the club slide down the league table ending in eventual relegation to League Two.