Full-time Report: Hartlepool United 2 Bournemouth 2

Scott Flinders is left standing after Sheffield Wednesday score their second goal. Picture by FRANK REID
Scott Flinders is left standing after Sheffield Wednesday score their second goal. Picture by FRANK REID

HARTLEPOOL United goalkeeper Scott Flinders atoned for an earlier howler as he salvaged a point with an incredible injury-time equaliser.

Trailing 2-1 entering the fourth minute of added time in the final home game of the season, Flinders vacated his own penalty box to charge into the opposition danger zone and connected with Fabian Yantorno’s corner to head home his first professional goal.

That was after he had fumbled Donal McDermott’s 38th-minute strike into his own net to hand The Cherries a two-goal lead.

Flinders hadn’t enjoyed the best of afternoons until his late intervention and a scuffed clearance presented the first chance of the game to Danny Ings on 15 minutes.

The striker was some 40 yards from goal but, with Flinders stranded, he went within a whisker of returning a spectacular effort straight into the back of the net, the looping effort bouncing narrowly wide.

Adam Boyd then tried his luck from a similar distance but saw an ambitious floater drift over the visiting crossbar.

But the deadlock was broken one minute shy of the half-hour mark, Steve Lovell getting the run on the Pools backline before turning a low shot beyond Flinders from six yards.

The visitors made it two on 38 minutes with a moment to forget for the Pools keeper.

The ever dangerous McDermott drifted infield from the right and, despite getting decent pace on his 20-yard drive, the wideman would never have expected it to escape the grasp of the home stopper as it crept through his fingers and over the line.

Flinders made amends for that error with a fine stop from Ings just moments later after the striker had burned clear of Peter Hartley on the edge of the area.

That save kept Pools in the game and they reduced arrears six minutes into the second half.

Leon McSweeney was the subject of a shove from Rhoys Wiggins inside the area as the pair competed for Evan Horwood’s swirling centre and referee Jock Waugh pointed to the penalty spot.

Adam Boyd stepped up to tuck home and so sparked a home revival.

They did, though, survive a scare at the other end when Liam Feeny’s cross-cum-shot bounced onto the post before Lovell headed onto the crossbar from the rebound.

But the final 20 minutes were all about the hosts and substitute Fabian Yantorno studded just inches the wrong side of the upright from 10 yards after Shwan Jalal had fumbled Horwood’s delivery.

Hartley then saw a header smuggled clear by Jalal at the base of his post before Flinders steamed upfield to snatch that last-gasp draw.

(See Monday’s Mail for full reaction and match report)

Pools: Flinders, Austin, Johnson, Hartley, Horwood, McSweeney, Sweeney, Liddle, Humphreys (Larkin 55), Boyd (Behan 66), Brown (Yantorno 66) Subs: Rafferty, Haslam, Holden, Gamble

Bournemouth: Jalal, Smith, Wiggins, Arter (Molesley 77), McDermott, Ings (Williamson 88), Lovell (Fletcher 77), Robinson, Feeney, Cooper, Pearce. Subs: Thomas, Pugh, Molesley, Dalla Valle