FULL-TIME REPORT: Whitby Town 1 Hartlepool United 1

Rakish Bingham goes forward against Whitby Town. Picture by FRANK REID
Rakish Bingham goes forward against Whitby Town. Picture by FRANK REID

Rhys Oates scored his first goal for Hartlepool United to extend their pre-season unbeaten run to three games.

Pools leaked their first goal in the friendly programme at Whitby Town, where Mikey Roberts beat Adam Bartlett with a deflected 12th-minute shot.

But Oates saved the day 20 minutes from time when he headed in from Connor Smith’s cross.

Boss Ronnie Moore continued his policy of fielding two separate teams and, again, it was a 3-5-2 formation.

Pools conceded their first goal in pre-season in the 12th minute, with ROBERTS scoring on his debut.

The striker, signed from Guisborough Town with the aid of a fan’s donation, let fly from the right side of the area, his right-footer taking a deflection off Carl Magnay and flying past Adam Bartlett.

Pools went close to an instant reply, Rakish Bingham curling an effort just wide of the target.

After something of an error-ridden opening, Pools began to get a foothold on the match.

Carl Magnay had free header from a Johnny Giles corner but he could not connect cleanly when in an excellent position.

Giles went just over from edge of box with his left foot and then repeated the trick with his right after a nice tee-up by Rakish Bingham.

Scott Harrison was enjoying a good return to action at both the back and going forward.

He made one positive run forward to get his side on the attack and shortly afterwards had a shot blocked by Ibrahim Hassan.


Whitby Town 1

Pools 0

It was all change for Pools in the second half but there was no change on the shooting front, Connor Smith and Kudus Oyenuga both going wide from the right-hand side of the box early on.

Whitby boss Darren Williams was not shy in altering the home team, with only keeper Shane Bland being retained.

It meant Town had withdrawn two former Pools promotion winners Lee Bullock and Mark Robinson though Williams sent on another, James Brown.

Brad Walker went close to a leveller when his shot looped up off a defender and bounced off the cross bar.

But the equaliser finally arrived in the 70th minute and came from summer signing OATES.

Smith, who had been lively running through from midfield, was the creator his cross from the right being headed in from eight yards by the ex-Barnsley prospect.

Oyenuga had seen a lot of the ball on the right and he tried to dance his way through, forcing a corner.

Pools had a great chance 15 minutes from time when Jake Carroll broke into the box but delayed too long and Liam Shepherd slid in to make the block.

Smith had shown up well and went just over the bar from 25 yards nine minutes from time

Pools finished strongly and keeper Bland saved well from Oates in the 84th minute after good play by Oyenuga, with Smith’s follow up shotr being blocked by the defence.




Whitby Town: Bland, Hagman, Robinson, Hassan, Bullock, McTiernan, Riseborough, Gell, Blackburn, Roberts, Gardner. Subs (all used): Poole, Mason, Keogh, Gardner< Braithwaite, Shepherd, Raby, Waters, Brown, Hall.

Pools First Half: Bartlett, Magnay, Harrison, Parnaby, Duckworth, Bell, Howes, Nelson-Addy, Giles, Bingham, Paynter.

Pools Second Half: Denton, Richards, Bates, Green, Oyenuga, Featherstone, Carroll, Walker, Smith, Fenwick, Oates..

Goals: Roberts 12, Oates 70

Referee: Ross Joyce (Teesside)

Attendance: 358