Full time whistle report: Hartlepool suffer 1-0 defeat at Wycombe Wanderers

Michael Duckworth in action. Picture by FRANK REID
Michael Duckworth in action. Picture by FRANK REID

HARTLEPOOL United are now 10 points adrift of safety at the bottom of the Football League after a 1-0 defeat away to league leaders Wycombe Wanderers.

A 37th minute winner from Fred Onyedinma was enough to separate the two sides at Adams Park.

Pools battled hard for large periods but Moore’s side again lacked quality in the final third and struggled to create any clear chances and were made to pay.

Defeat was the 16th of the season in the league as the gap to safety extended to 10 points.

Boss Ronnie Moore named all three loan signings in his starting line-up.

Sunderland defender Scott Harrison, signed on loan until the end of the season, started in central defence while Aaron Tshibola - signed from Reading on a month-long loan - started in midfield.

Rakish Bingham, signed on loan from Mansfield, started the Sky Bet League Two match up front with Jonathan Franks and Jack Compton providing the support.

And it was Bingham that had the first attempt on goal in the sixth minute, his low shot was scuffed from distance and easily gathered by Matt Ingram.

Then immediately up the other end Scott Flinders had to be alert to save well from Aaron Holloway’s powerful strike from the edge of the area.

The home side, joint top of League Two at the start of play, then started to impose themselves on the match.

Aaron Pierre headed over after beating Matthew Bates in the air from a free kick before Holloway burst through the middle in the 16th minute after a stray Nicky Featherstone pass.

He was clean through after beating Harrison but tripped himself up and the chance past him by.

Pools competed well with Gareth Ainsworth’s side for large periods of the first half but fell behind in the 37th minute.

Michael Duckworth was tackled in the Wycombe area by Peter Murphy and the home side broke at pace.

Josh Scowen moved the ball out wide to Fred Onyedinma who finished with aplomb with a powerful finish past Flinders’ near post.

Murphy then had a goal ruled out for offside right on half-time, as Pools went into the break trailing.

Half-Time: Wycombe 1 Pools 0

The first effort of the half came with 60 seconds of the re-start, Bingham’s effort deflected and the ball looped just over Ingram’s crossbar.

Tshibola blasted an effort wide before Scowen struck a shot wide from a good position on the edge of the Pools area.

Moore’s side should have been two down in the 51st minute, Sam Wood showed good pace to beat Harrison and Duckworth to the ball but dragged his shot wide.

Ainsworth’s men had the better of the second half putting Pools under constant pressure as they looked to add a second, Wood saw a 30-yard free-kick deflected inches wide while Pierre headed over.

Moore turned to Lewis Hawkins from the subs bench, the young midfielder coming on for Franks.

Scott Fenwick later came on as Pools looked to get back into the match at Adams Park.

They almost did in the 89th minute, Jack Compton’s corner found Bingham but his free header from six-yards out hit the post.

Pools were hit a double blow as moments later Hawkins saw his second yellow card within five minutes as he was given his marching orders.

It was a late, rash tackle on Jacobson and worthy of a booking as Pools were beaten again for the 16th time this season in the league.

Full-Time: Wycombe 1 Pools 0

Wycombe (4-3-3): Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Onyedinma, Murphy, Scowen, Wood, Holloway (Craig, 90), Hayes (C).

Subs Not Used: Richardson (GK), Lewis, Bloomfield, Fletcher, Rowe.

Booking: Scowen (20)

Goal: Onyedinma (37)

Pools (4-5-1): Flinders (C), Austin, Jones, Harrison, Duckworth, Featherstone (Fenwick, 83) Bates, Tshibola, Compton, Franks (Hawkins, 73), Bingham.

Subs Not Used: Maxted (GK), Holden, Walker, Richards, Green.

Booking: Austin (45), Hawkins (85)

Sent off: Hawkins (89)

Referee: Darren Deadman (Cambridgeshire)

Attendance: 3,607 (Pools 136)