Guiseley 0 Hartlepool United 1: Match report, Franks clinches first win for Pools

Jon Franks celebrates putting Pools ahead. Picture by FRANK REID
Jon Franks celebrates putting Pools ahead. Picture by FRANK REID

Jonathan Franks scored his first goal since returning to Hartlepool United to clinch the first win of the season.

The forward struck four minutes into the second half to give Craig Harrison's side a vital three points.

Harrison made five changes to his starting XI for the crucial National League match.

Skipper Carl Magnay returned at right-back slot with Nicky Deverdics coming in at left back for the injured Blair Adams (groin).

Magnay took the spot vacated by Liam Donnelly, who is now away with Northern Ireland U21. Michael Woods and Lewis Hawkins came into the midfield, with Ryan Donaldson and Conor Newton dropping to the bench.

Devante Rodney made his first start of the season, joining Jake Cassidy and Franks in a three-man attack.

Youth Team striker Connor Simpson, who made his first team debut at the end of last season, was named on the bench.

Pools had an early escape when the crossbar came to their rescue.

Alex Purver delivered a delicious cross from the left which Frank Mulhern headed against the bar with Scott Loach beaten.

It took until the 25th minute for Pools to string some passes together, with the two Nickys involved, Featherstone and Deverdics.

Pools had their first shot five minutes from the break, though Rodney's attempt from outside of the box had a touch of the Dambusters as it bobbled harmlessly wide of Joe Green's net.

The only other incident to note of an atrocious first half was a shot from Raul Correia which was high, very high, over Loach's goal.

Pools came out for the second half strongly and only a sharp intervention by keeper Joe Green foiled Devante Rodney.

But Pools were in front in the 49th minute when good play by Michael Woods and Lewis Hawkins set up FRANKS who applied a decisive finish from 10 yards.

Guiseley tried to come back and got the ball into the away box a couple of times but good work by Featherstone and Rodney cleared the danger while Scott Harrison blocked a shot from Will Hatfield.

Pools were indebted to a stunning double save by Loach 15 minutes from time, his low diving stop was expected but he had no right getting to Odejayi's follow up, leaping high to his left.

Guiseley lumped the ball forward towards sub Olu Odejayi late on but Pools defended bravely, including eight minutes of stoppage time.


Guiseley: Green, East (Hurst 81), Lawlor, Palmer, Lowe, Hatfield, Rooney, Purver, McFadzean (Molyneux 12), Correia (Odejayi 63), Mulhern
Subs: Brown, Hurst, Atkinson
Booked: Odejayi 79

Pools: Loach, Magnay, Harrison, Watson, Deverdics, Featherstone, Hawkins, Woods, Franks, Cassidy (Simpson), Rodney (Donaldson 68).
Subs: Richardson, Newton, Munns, Simpson.
Goal: Franks 49
Booked: Rodney 50, Franks 87, Featherstone 89

referee: Alan Young
Att: 1,723