Half-time report: Plymouth Argyle 1 Hartlepool Utd 0

SUB: Jack Compton
SUB: Jack Compton

HARTLEPOOL United trailed to a Jason Banton goal at half-time of their League Two trip to Plymouth Argyle.

Pools had looked quite bright at Home Park, only for Banton to break well into the box to score a good individual goal.

Plymouth were the first to threaten, midfielder Remy Boco’s shot going just wide of the target after only 15 seconds.

Pools soon settled after that very early and there was a good first touch for Oliver, who brought the ball forward nicely before losing possession just outside the area.

But it was Oliver who had the first effort on goal for Pools in the 12th minute.

The midfielder played a neat 1-2 with Brad Walker and took a stride or two forward before letting fly with a shot which went wide of Jake Cole’s right-hand upright.

Pools won their first corner on 16 minutes but Jack Barmby’s delivery failed to make it beyond the first Argyle defender.

But Pools were looking lively and Oliver played a good long ball which Barmby kept in. PLymouth cleared the cross but only as fas as Oliver whose right-foot shot went high over Cole’s bar.

Plymouth went close shortly afterwards when Enoch Showunmi, playing for the third time against Pools this season after wearing the colors of Notts Co and Torquay, saw a dipping volley land on the top of Scott Flinders’ net.

Pools had an escape in the 25th minute when Argyle broke from deep and Con Hourihane crossed from the left with Showunmi’s spectacular attempt going over Flinders’ bar.

Oliver clearly enjoying himself on his first FL start and he let fly from 35 yards and was not a million miles away.

But Pools went a goal behind on the half-hour, when JASON BANTON danced his way into the a\way box and beat Flinders with a powerful shot.

Pools came back well and won a few corners in the teaming rain but could not make use of any of them.

The closest they came was when Cole did well to beat away a Walker piledriver from outside of the box and defender Curtis Nelson coolly headed the rebound back to his stopper.

Pools were forced into a change 10 minutes from the break, Jack Compton coming on for Andy Monkhouse.

Plymouth went close twice at the end of the half, Collins clearing superbly under pressure from Showunmi and Flinders beating out a Hourihane shot.


Plymouth 1

Pools 0

PLYMOUTH: Cole, Blanchard, Trottman, Nelson, Berry, Gurrieri, Young, Hourihane, Boco, Showunmi, Banton.

Subs: Dawson, Allesandra, Reid, Blizzard, Thomas, Harvey, Purrington

POOLS: Flinders, Duckworth, Harrison, Collins, Holden, Franks, Walker, Oliver, Monkhouse (Compton 35), Barmby, Harewood

Subs: Rafferty, Richards, Jones, Hawkins, Poole, Rowbotham