Harewood to serve three match ban after Hartlepool United decide against appeal

Marlon Harewood in action. Picture by FRANK REID
Marlon Harewood in action. Picture by FRANK REID

MARLON Harewood will miss the next three matches for Hartlepool United after the club decided against appealing his red card at Mansfield Town.

The experienced striker was given his marching orders in the 87th minute after an altercation with Mansfield captain Jamie McGuire in the 1-1 draw on Boxing Day.

The officials deemed Harewood’s behaviour as violent conduct and he will now serve a three match ban, starting with the visit of Morecambe on Sunday (KO 3pm).

Pools said there was “insufficient evidence” to challenge the decision.

Michael Woods will also miss the Morecambe match, he was shown a red card after picking up his second yellow of the match in the 90th minute and will serve a one-match ban.

A Pools statement said: “After carefully reviewing the DVD from the Boxing Day game at Mansfield Town, the club has decided that unfortunately footage of the Marlon Harewood incident is inconclusive.

“The Pools front man was shown a straight red card late in the game, following a tussle with Mansfield captain Jamie McGuire during which both players fell to the ground.

“Officials adjudged that Harewood had been guilty of violent conduct and, while the club disputes that, the footage of the incident is inconclusive and therefore the decision was taken not to appeal.

“Harewood will now serve a three-match suspension, starting with Sunday’s game against Morecambe at Victoria Park.”

He will also miss the trip to Wycombe Wanderers on January 3 followed by the visit of Cheltenham Town to The Vic on January 10.