Hartlepool striker in knee brace after suffering medial ligament sprain

Scott Fenwick in action against Carlisle United.
Scott Fenwick in action against Carlisle United.

HARTLEPOOL United striker Scott Fenwick has been placed in a knee brace for a month after confirmation he suffered a medial ligament sprain in the last game of the season.

The 25-year-old, whose contract has recently been extended by Pools, went off at half-time against Carlisle United in the season finale at Brunton Park.

Scott had a scan after the Carlisle game and that confirmed our initial diagnosis so he will be in a brace for three to four weeks now

Physio Ian Gallagher

And club officials have now confirmed Fenwick, who had only just returned from 11 weeks out with an ankle injury, will spend the next four weeks in a knee brace.

Fenwick has been joined at the training ground this week by young defender Dan Jones, who recently underwent surgery after fracturing his wrist.

Jones, who will miss the first few pre-season friendlies, had been playing through the pain barrier since the turn of the year and had surgery on the day of the Carlisle draw.

Both are working with the club’s medical staff and hope to be involved when pre-season starts at the end of June.

Physio Ian Gallagher said: “Dan will be allowed to join in all of the running work but it’s the contact stuff that we will have to be more careful on.

“He’s in a cast at the moment following the operation to repair his scaphoid but he should be able to do all the fitness work though he may be behind in terms of match sharpness because he won’t be allowed to play in the early pre-season friendlies.

“Scott had a scan after the Carlisle game and that confirmed our initial diagnosis so he will be in a brace for three to four weeks now.

“He will work with us over the summer in the gym and I would expect him to return to fitness for the start of pre-season.”

Meanwhile, Michael Woods continues to make good progress after breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle in the win over Wimbledon at the start of February.

Woods has been back at the training ground to further step up his rehabilitation, completing a series of exercises in a sand-pit at Maiden Castle.

“It’s amazing to think it was only ten and a half weeks since Michael underwent major surgery,” Gallagher told the club website.

“Doing this work in the sand now will hopefully give him the confidence that he can do it normally and that will help when we make the step back on to the grass.

“I have to say that his work-rate and commitment has been unbelievable; I am having to hold him back to be honest.

“All the excellent progress he has made already is down to his attitude because he’s so desperate to be back playing football – he’s a real credit to himself.”

Woods should be able to fully join in training when pre-season starts.