Hartlepool striker Marvin Morgan would consider new deal

Marvin Morgan
Marvin Morgan

MARVIN Morgan has not ruled out extending his stay at Hartlepool United beyond the end of the season.

The 31-year-old joined Pools on a loan deal from Plymouth Argyle until the end of the season but his contract runs out in the summer and could be looking for a new permanent club.

The experienced frontman says he has been playing long enough to know to keep his options open if his current deal isn’t extended at the Devon side.

Since arriving at the Sky Bet League Two club, Morgan has started all three matches, scoring the winner in the 1-0 win over Northampton Town.

He is not yet fully match fit following a lengthy spell without a run of games but he would be open to extending his stay beyond May if the opportunity arose.

“With football, you never know really,” Morgan told SportMail.

“My contract runs out in the summer.

“If Ronnie (Moore) did ask me if I wanted to stay and said here is a contract then football has always taught me never, ever, say no to any form of contract.

“I’d have to look at it and consider it properly and speak to my agent.

“We have been approached by other clubs who want to sign me next year.

“You never know, I just want to stay fully fit, healthy and go from there.”

Manager Moore was keen to bring Morgan to Victoria Park, with the striker one of several names on a lengthy wishlist when he got the Pools job.

Staying in the North East would certainly appeal to the frontman, who has started against Portsmouth, Northampton and Stevenage since switching to the side bottom of the Football League.

Morgan’s partner Jerri is from Whitley Bay and the lure of moving to the North East where he has strong family links proved a key reason in joining Pools.

Mind, he went through every emotion possible when his son Miles was born earlier in the season – just days before he played and scored against Pools for Argyle.

Reflecting on a dramatic arrival earlier in the season, he said: “I was up at Newcastle, we thought she was in labour and we had to decide on what do to as I was back in the [Plymouth] team, but the decision was that it was my career, I had to play.

“So I left for Plymouth, got on the train, I was on the wrong one – heading to London!

“It was a £220 ticket and the conductor made me buy another for £200.

“Then I bought a new ticket for Plymouth and the missus rang – she was in labour. I said to her ‘are you being serious!!’

“She was, so another train to Newcastle from London – another £150.

“It was worth it in the end as I saw my little man.

“He arrived, it was back to Plymouth and I scored against Hartlepool - what a week and a good story to tell him when he’s older!

“But it’s good to be in the North-East, her family is from Whitley Bay and it’s good to have people around.”

Meanwhile, Nicky Featherstone will be able to play in Saturday’s Sky Bet League Two game at Bury despite being sent-off in the reserve defeat to Hull City.

The 26-year-old midfielder scored a consolation goal for Pools but was sent-off in the closing stages for deliberate handball.

But red cards picked up in reserve games do not lead to suspension in first team football so Featherstone is in contention for Saturday’s trip to Gigg Lane.

Instead he will be suspended for the reserves’ Final Third Development League fixture against Gateshead on Wednesday, March 11.