Hartlepool United 0 Bury 2

Colin Cooper during the game against Whitby Town. Picture by FRANK REID
Colin Cooper during the game against Whitby Town. Picture by FRANK REID

HARTLEPOOL United made it three successive defeats to start the season after going down 2-0 to Bury at Victoria Park in Sky Bet League Two.

Goals from Daniel Nardiello and Danny Rose secured the three points for the away side with Pools, again, having to pick themselves up after a third defeat in eight days.

Former Pools loanee Nardiello gave Bury the lead, nodding the opening goal past Scott Flinders from six-yards out in the 18th minute of the match.

A Matthew Bates mistake midway through the second-half allowed Rose to make it 2-0 and seal the win.

Going into the match, Pools manager Colin Cooper had made three changes to his team beaten 6-2 by Port Vale in the Capital One Cup in midweek.

Stuart Parnaby and Darren Holden started along with striker Marlon Harewood.

Player coach Sam Collins droped out of the team with Neil Austin asked to partner captain Bates in the centre of defence.

Middlesbrough loanee Ryan Brobbel also missed out, with Parnaby shaking off a foot injury to return to the starting line-up.

Pools were looking to bounce back from the 1-0 defeat at Stevenage on the opening day of the Sky Bet League Two season and the thrashing at Vale.

Tommy Miller, 35, who was released by Bury in the summer, started against his former team in central midfield.

The visitors, managed by David Flitcroft, named experienced front man Ryan Lowe up front alongside last year’s top scorer Nardiello, while ex-Pools forward James Poole was on the bench.

Parnaby started the match on the right-hand wing for Pools, with Brad Walker and Miller in central midfield - Jonathan Franks playing wide left.

Ahead of kick-off Commonwealth Gold medalist Savannah Marshall was presented to the crowd, the town boxer proudly showing off her medal to fans.

Bury had the best of opening 14 minutes, the away side having three free headers in the six-yard box.

Chris Hussey, in particular, for the away side, looked dangerous keeping Michael Duckworth on his toes in the opening stages of the match.

Pools’ first sight of goal came in the 17th minute, Darren Holden doing well down the left and he played in Walker in the centre of the pitch.

The 18-year-old played a delightful through ball into the feet of Holden who had continued his run into the box but the left-back got caught in two minds and his weak cross was blocked.

Then, on the counter-attack Bury took the lead in the 18th minute.

Lowe played in a lovely dinked chip towards the head of NARDIELLO who headed home past Flinders from six-yards out.

Harewood - who started the match well - then did well to close down Nathan Cameron on the edge of the penalty area but he didn’t look up and his cross into the box was easily dealt with.

Bury, playing a 3-5-2 formation, looked dangerous on the break and fluid in their attacking style of play with options all over the pitch.

Andrew Tutte, Kelvin Etuhu and Nicky Adams were the central midfield trio for the away side and constantly rotated the play.

Pools on the other hand, looked nervous following the Port Vale defeat in midweek and were sat too deep for much of the first-half.

They did have a glorious chance to equalise though in the 38th minute.

The ball broke to Parnaby on the edge of the penalty area but his dipping volley was well saved by Rob Lainton in the Bury goal.

Harewood pounced on the rebound 8-yards out but blazed it high and wide into the Town End goal in the 37th minute. Should have been the equaliser for Pools.

A Ryan Lowe free-kick in the 42nd minute was deflected but safely ended up in the gloves of Flinders as Bury looked to extend their lead before the break.

Pools then had a free-kick and corner in the final minute, both from Walker, but neither troubled the Bury defence.

Half-Time: Pools 0 Bury 1

Bury could have extended their lead early into the second-half, Ryan Lowe given all the time in the world to run forward before shooting from 20-yards.

It appeared Flinders just managed to tip his effort onto the crossbar and the ball bounced clear.

James then did well to find space inside the area but pass back across goal didn’t find anybody, with Parnaby in front of the ball.

The 19-year-old striker then had a shot blocked inside the area before narrowly failing to pick out Harewood on the six-yard line with 59 minutes gone.

There was also a couple of yellow cards, Jim McNulty and Kelvin Etuhu both seeing yellow for the away side, who took off Nicky Adams and replaced him with Danny Mayor just before the hour mark.

With 63 minutes gone, Harewood again had the ball in the back of the net.

He chested in a Franks header on goal but the linesman had raised his flag and the goal was disallowed, it appeared that Franks header may have been going in anyway.

Lowe again found himself in on goal two minutes later but he flashed his shot wide of the right-hand post.

James was seeing far more of the ball in the second-half and looked eager to get his first goal of the new campaign.

Bury made their final substitution in the 71st minute, Chris Sedgwick coming on for Kelvin Etuhu which meant there was to be no Victoria Park return for Poole.

Cooper made his first change in the 72nd minute, Ryan Brobbel coming on for Parnaby on the right wing.

But with 90 seconds, Bury had doubled their lead.

Bates with the mistake for Pools 25-yards out allowed sub ROSE in on goal and he took a touch past the onrushing Flinders before cooly slotting home.

It was an awful mistake from the captain and the Pools players were visibly deflated by the set-back.

There was little in the way of attacks for the home side after going two down, with the away side reverting to four at the back in order to see out the game.

It was another poor Pools performance from Cooper’s side, with little attacking threat in the final third once again.

There was some boos at the end from the home fans as the referee brought proceedings to an end.

Next up for Pools is Dagenham & Redbridge at Victoria Park on Tuesday night.

Full Time: Pools 0 Bury 2

Pools (4-4-2): Flinders, Duckworth, Bates (C), Austin, Holden, Parnaby (Brobbel, 72), Miller, Walker, Franks, James, Harewood.

Subs Not Used: Dixon, Richards, Collins, Woods, Hawkins, Smith.

Bury (3-5-2): Lainton, McNulty, Tutte, Etuhu (Sedgwick, 71), Adams (Mayor, 58), Hussey, Lowe (Rose, 67), Nardiello, Soares, Cameron, Mills.

Subs Not Used: Jalal, Thompson, Widdowson, Poole.

Goal: Nardiello (18) Rose (73)

Booking: Hussey, McNulty, Etuhu.

Referee: Gary Sutton (Lincolnshire)

Attendance: 3,246 (244 Bury)