Hartlepool United back to winning ways after 4-0 win at Spennymoor Town

Nicky Featherstone in action
Nicky Featherstone in action

Hartlepool United have extended their unbeaten run in pre-season to four games with a comfortable 4-0 win over Spennymoor Town.

Scott Fenwick, triallist Fergus Bell, Connor Smith and Jake Carroll scored as Pools bounced back to winning ways after the 1-1 draw with Whitby Town on Friday.

Ronnie Moore named fellow triallists Johnny Giles in the starting line-up, alongside ex-Dunfermline midfielder Adam Whittle, who played left wing-back.

Pools again lined up in a 3-5-2 formation against the non-league side, who had ex-Pools and Carlisle winger Matty Robson in their side on trial.

Spennymoor should have taken the lead three minutes in, ex-Pools defender Joe Tait powering a header just wide of the post from a free-kick.

Pools were passing the ball about quicker and keeping possession well against Town and they took the lead in the 10th minute.

The ball broke to Rakish Bingham out wide who crossed to the back post where strike partner Scott Fenwick nodded home from six yards.

Brad Walker impressed, playing some delightful passes crossfield to rapturous applause.

Pools looked to press home their advantage but Dan Lowson comfortably saved from Ebby Nelson-Addy and Bingham’s efforts from the edge of the penalty area.

It was a feisty encounter with both sides going full-blooded into challenges, the home side particularly over zealous at times.

Lewis Dodds should have been red-carded for a late, over the top foul on Scott Harrison but referee Eltringham just gave him a talking to.

The first booking finally came moments later, Shane Henry entering the book for a late challenge on Duckworth.

From the resulting free-kick Walker almost added a second, his curled attempt brilliantly palmed away by Dan Lowson.

Half-Time: Spennymoor 0 Pools 1

Moore once again changed his entire team for the second half, with Bell again given the chance to impress.

There was also a welcome return for Dan Jones.

Pools didn’t look as fluent in the second half but they eventually added a second in the 65th minute.

Bell found himself free 20-yards from goal and he took a touch before firing a low strike into the corner of the net, leaving the sub Town keeper helpless.

The 24-year-old ex-Yeovil Town and Mansfield Town midfielder is among a group of triallists trying to win a contract at the League Two club and he did his chances no harm with that goal.

Connor Smith made it three on 75 minutes.

It was an excellent goal too, Smith drifting past three Town defenders before expertly guiding the ball into the right-hand corner of the net.

Jake Carroll again impressed for Pools, linking up well with Jones down the left-hand side.

Young stopper Peter Denton ensured Pools kept a clean sheet with a smart low stop late on.

Carroll got the goal his performance deserved late on with a fine effort, Nicky Featherstone played in Billy Paynter, who passed to Carroll who finished well.

Full-Time: Spennymoor Town 0 Pools 4

Pools First Half (3-5-2): Bartlett, Harrison, Magnay, Green, Duckworth, Walker, Nelson-Addy, Whittle, Giles, Bingham, Fenwick.

Pools Second Half (3-5-2): Denton, Richards, Bates, Jones, Oyenuga, Featherstone, Smith, Bell, Carroll, Paynter, Oates.

Goals: Fenwick (10), Bell (65), Smith (75), Carroll (89)

Spennymoor: Lowson, Griffiths, Mason, Dodds, Tait, Capper, Stephenson, Henry, Henderson, Fisher, Robson.

Subs: A. Trialist, A. Trialist, Cogdon, Taylor, Briggs, Johnson, Kenney.

Booked: Henry (34)

Referee: G. Eltringham

Attendance: 665.