Hartlepool United boss Ronnie Moore wants midfielder but pleased Brad Walker is playing well

Brad Walker in action for Hartlepool United against Cambridge United. Picture by FRANK REID
Brad Walker in action for Hartlepool United against Cambridge United. Picture by FRANK REID

Ronnie Moore is chasing a new midfielder.

But the Hartlepool United boss has a familiar face challenging for a League Two start in that area.

Brad’s got forward, he’s hit a couple of shots and nice little passes

RONNIE MOORE

Brad Walker impressed as a late substitute in the 0-0 draw with Cambridge United on Saturday, adding an attacking impetus for Pools.

Moore was impressed with the late cameo of the teenage who could come into contention for Saturday’s long trip to Yeovil Town.

“Brad Walker’s time will come,” predicted the Pools boss.

“I was pleased with him when he came on and he tried to do the right things and went close.

“Brad’s got forward, he’s hit a couple of shots and nice little passes.

“He’s done well.”

Whether he’s done well enough to start is the big question, given the trio of Matthew Bates, Michael Woods and Nicky Featherstone have proven an effective combination.

Walker had impressed in pre-season and looked likely to start the campaign, only to suffer an injury set-back.

However, the 18-year-old now appears fit and well and has done his chances no harm following Saturday’s display and he provides the greater goal threat.

Moore has said he is looking for a midfielder and hopes to bring in someone on loan.

“We are looking for people to sign and make us a stronger squad, give us more depth,” said the manager.

“If there is anyone out there who can improve us, I’ve spoken to the chairman and we can get on with it.”

Walker got 90 minutes under his belt on Tuesday in a behind-closed-doors reserve XI friendly at Burnley, where Pools lost 3-0.

Moore has already completed some transfer business.

The Pools boss has sealed a further month on loan for central defender Andrew Boyce.

Moore said after the match with Cambridge that he wanted to keep the 25-year-old and had already spoken to Scunthorpe United about extending the deal.

The paperwork has now been completed and Boyce will continue his partnership with Scott Harrison this Saturday at Huish Park.

Initially, Boyce was signed following Harry Worley’s injury at York as Moore looked for cover at the back, especially given Carl Magnay’s successful foray into midfield.

But the 6ft 4in has subsequently replaced Worley with one of Moore’s big summer signings on the bench on the last two Saturdays.

The Pools chief was happy with his defence against Exeter and Cambridge, labelling them “immense” against the U’s.

Moore expects a similar physical test against the Glovers this weekend.

“There are some big lads there as well,” he said. “If we are as competitive as we were on Saturday, then we shouldn’t fear anyone.

“We are not a million miles away from being a decent team.”