Hartlepool United goalkeeper Andy Rafferty leaves by “mutual consent”

Andy Rafferty in action against Whitby Town. Picture by FRANK REID
Andy Rafferty in action against Whitby Town. Picture by FRANK REID

HARTLEPOOL United have confirmed reserve goalkeeper Andy Rafferty has had his contract cancelled by “mutual consent”.

The 26-year-old stopper featured in pre-season matches for the Sky Bet League Two club but on the eve of the new campaign the club stated he had picked up an injury in training and subsequently missed the first two matches of the season.

Club officials have now confirmed his contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.

Pools manager Colin Cooper was asked at Thursday morning’s pre-match press conference about the injury but said it was something the club was “keeping in-house”.

Later that morning a statement was released confirming his departure from the club.

The former Pools stopper has since taken to Twitter to wish the club well including manager Cooper and assistant manager and goalkeeping coach Stephen Pears.

Rafferty said: “Would just like to wish all at @Official_HUFC for a great four years at the club.

“I have loved every minute.

“However it is time for a fresh start. I wish the gaffa, Pearsy and all the lads every success in the future.”

Last Friday Pools signed Sunderland youth goalkeeper Joel Dixon on an emergency loan deal for a month as cover and he was on the bench for the 1-0 defeat at Stevenage.

Jonathan Barber, the club’s youth team keeper, was named on the bench for the midweek Capital One Cup defeat to Port Vale.

A Pools spokesman said: “Goalkeeper Andy Rafferty has had his Hartlepool United contract cancelled by mutual consent.

“The 26-year-old joined Pools in the summer of 2010 when he was snapped up from Guisborough Town and went on to become deputy to Scott Flinders at Victoria Park.

“Rafferty recovered from a serious knee injury which ruled him out of the entire 2012-13 campaign and went on to make three starts for the first team at the end of last term.

“Everyone at Hartlepool United would like to wish Andy all the very best for the future.”

A regular for the reserves, Rafferty found opportunities to play regular first team football limited and made seven appearances during his four years at the club.

His final appearance for the club was against Whitby Town in pre-season, playing the first half of the match before being replaced at the break by Scott Flinders.