Hartlepool Utd 2 Carlisle Utd 3: Ibehre doubles up to sink Pools

Hartlepool United’s unbeaten home league record was ended by Carlisle United in a five-goal thriller.

Pools led early on from Scott Harrison but the Cumbrians were always dangerous and Jabo Ibrehre levelled after the break.

Billy Paynter’s 70th-minute penalty put Pools in front again but two goals in 10 minutes late on by Tom Miller and Ibehre sunk Ronnie Moore’s side.

Pools made a decent start, Andrew Boyce winning the first header and tackle, with the hosts soon winning an attacking free-kick.

Michael Woods sent his delivery into the away box which just eluded three Pools men.

But Pools were ahead in the sixth minute with HARRISON’S first goal of the season.

Michael Duckworth and Woods won a corner down the right. Jake Carroll’s over-hit flag-kick was superbly kept in by Carl Magnay with Harrison’s left-foot finish from 16 yards flashing past Mark Gillespie.

Carlisle thouh proved dangerous opponents.

And it needed last-gasp heroic home defending and poor Carlisle finishing to keep Pools ahead in the ninth minute, Steven Rigg denied twice following Bastien Hery’s header down.

Another chance dropped Carlisle’s way in the 15th minute when Troy Archibald-Henville lifted his attempt over the bar fropm Tom Miller’s long throw.

It was end-to-end stuff and Nicky Featherstone had two shots in a matter of moments, Gillespie saving the first with his feet with the second deflected clear by an away defender.

Pools were caught three-on-three at back in 24th minute but Jabo Ibehre prodded over from close range from Danny Grainger’s great cross.

There was almost a home second in the 31st minute when Rakish Bingham beat three Carlisle defenders with great skill, only to see his left-foot drive from 18yards crashe back off bar/post.

How Carlisle had not scored was a bit of a mystery.

Seven minutes from the break, Adam Bartlett put in a great save to block from Jason Kennedy who put the rebound wide with goal gaping.


Pools 1

Carlisle 0

Pools made a change at the start of the half with Ebby Nelson-Addy replacing Magnay.

The first chance of the second period went Carlisle’s way but Archibald-Henville headed over from inside the six-yard box from Grainger’s free-kick.

Grainger went over the Pools bar from outside box in 54th minute as the Cumbrians continued to have the better of the play.

A Carlisle goal was always coming and the scores were level in the 57th minute, IBEHRE’S header from eight yards from Kennedy’s cross looping in.

Pools came back well with Bingham finding Nelson-Addy whose shot was deflected wide for a corner off Michael Raynes.

Moore made his second change in the 63rd minute with Scott Fenwick replacing Rhys Oates.

There was an even better chance in the 66th minute.

Paynter was involved in the build-up finding Fenwick who crossed for Carroll who turned but shot wide of Gillespie’s right post.

However, Pools were back in front after referee Andy Haines pointed to the spot after penalising Kennedy for holding Fenwick from a set-piece.

PAYNTER stepped up and blasted home to the keeper’s right.

But the lead lasted a mere six minutes, MILLER’S cross-cum-shot going in from outside the box from down the right.

Pools were idebted to tremendous blocks by Boyce and Carroll but the hosts fell behind in the 85th minute.

Grainger crossed from the left and it was all too easy for IBEHRE to side-foot home from inside the six-yard box.

Carlisle should have made it four in injury time but Asamoah could not score from close range, Bartlett making the save.

There were six minutes of stoppage time but Pools could not find an equaliser, Harrison going high and wide from long range.




Pools: Bartlett, Duckworth, Harrison, Boyce, Carroll, Magnay (Nelson-Addy 46), Featherstone, Woods, Oates (Fenwick 63), Paynter, Bingham.

Unused subs: Denton, Worley, Jones, Oyenuga, Smith

Goals: Harrison 6, Paynter 70 (pen)

Carlisle: Gillespie, Miller, Archibald-Henville, Raynes, McQueen (Asamoah 77), Kennedy, Joyce, Hery (Dicker 87), Grainger, Rigg (Asamoah 68), Ibehre

Unused subs: Hanford, Brough, Sweeney

Goals: Ibehre 57, 85, Miller 76

Booked: Miller 40, Rigg 56, Ibehre 62, Archibald-Henville 68

Referee: Andy Haines

Attendance: 4935