Macclesfield 1 Hartlepool 1: Jake Cassidy nets equaliser to earn Pools point on the road

Lewis Hawkins
Lewis Hawkins

A second-half Jake Cassidy strike saw Hartlepool come from behind to earn their first National League point.

The striker, on his first start, nodded home a Ryan Donaldson cross just before the hour to cancel out a Danny Whitaker opener for Macclesfield.

Craig Harrison made just the one change from the side beaten by Dover on the first day - bringing in Cassidy up top, with Michael Woods dropping out of the side.

He might not have tweaked the personnel too much, but the formation was shifted around somewhat. Cassidy operating up front, with Padraig Amond and Jack Munns playing just off.

Devante Rodney, Nicky Featherstone and Blair Adams returned to the bench.

Pools got off to a decent start, carving out early opportunities for Munns, Cassidy and Donaldson.

But after a positive opening 15, the home side began to get a foothold.

And after Scott Loach produced a world class save to deny Whitaker, he was not to be denied a second time, when on 38 minutes he nodded in a right wing cross for 1-0.

After the break with Pools needing a reaction, it was the home side who came out with renewed purpose.

Ryan Lloyd almost made it 2-0 six minutes after the break but his powerful effort from a zipped cross from the right was inches over the top.

At the other end Conor Newton showed fantastic technique to crack an 18-yard volley at goal but it sailed wide of Shwan Jalal's goal.

The leveller came just before the hour mark when a delightful cross from Donaldson, quiet to that point, was nodded home by Cassidy.

The goal seemed to spark Pools into life.

Within 90 seconds of the leveller Harrison's men should have been in front, Munns skewing an effort wide from eight yards.

As conditions worsened the game unfolded into an end-to-end encounter with Donaldson going close for Pools and Elliot Durrell almost netting for the Silkmen.

But despite six minutes added at the end, neither side could find a winner, and Harrison's men had to settle for a deserved point on the road.