Maidenhead 2 Hartlepool 1: Late Padraig Amond penalty not enough as Pools beaten by Dave Tarpey double

Dave Tarpey hammers home the second
Dave Tarpey hammers home the second

A late Padraig Amond penalty was not enough to prevent Hartlepool losing their second National League game of the season.

The Irishman netted in the 87th minute after Carl Magnay was brought down, but it was too little, too late as a double from non-league goal machine Dave Tarpey ensured the Magpies secured all three points.

Padraig Amond

Padraig Amond

Despite having used, by his own admission, four different formations in Pools opening two games, Craig Harrison rolled the dice again by switching to a 3-5-2.

Blair Adams came in for Jack Munns on the left, with skipper Magnay moving to the centre and Liam Donnelly playing right wing-back.

Amond and Jake Cassidy were again paired up top.

While Pools were bright enough early doors it was the home side who looked the more likely to score.

Sean Marks had a header that when within inches of an opener while midfielder James Comley conjured up a dipping 35-yard effort that had Scott Loach worried, but skimmed over the Hartlepool bar.

Pools failed to heed the warning shots fired by the fifth tier minnows and went behind 10 minutes before the break.

A route one ball from goalkeeper Carl Pentney was flicked on by Marks and last season's top-scorer Tarpey broke through to slide past the helpess Scott Loach for 1-0.

At the break Harrison again took the decision to adjust formation, moving back to the 4-4-2 that served them so well in the second half at Macclesfield.

But it failed to have the desired impact as Pools went two goals down just before the hour as Louis Laing needlessly gave the ball away in his own half and Tarpey streaked through to hammer past Loach via the bar.

It was no less than the Magpies deserved.

And despite Pools boss Harrison throwing caution to the wind in the final 20 minutes, going three up top with Devante Rodney introduced, the visitors didn't look like mustering anything close to a comeback. Well, that was until the 87th minute when Magnay was chopped down in the area and a penalty awarded.

Amond sent the keeper the wrong way and all of a sudden Pools were back in it.

From then on in it was a siege on the Magpies goal, but despite a chance for Harrison Pools could not get a leveller.

In fact, Tarpey almost put the icing on the cake for Maidenhead, but, yet again, Loach was on hand to deny.