Match report: Hartlepool United 1 Carlisle United 2

TWO Carlisle goals in nine dramatic minutes by Danny Cadamarteri and Matty Robson sunk Hartlepool United.

Pools had deservedly led when James Poole finished superbly five minutes before half-time.

Red-hot Pools produced some great football but could not find a killer second.

And they were made to pay when Cadamarteri equalised for Carlisle on 75 minutes.

A minute later Neil Austin was sent off for his second bookable offence after clipping the heels of Robson as the former Pools star broke into the home half.

And in his unguarded right-back position the Durham lad fired in Carlisle’s 84th-minute winner.

Pools: Flinders, Austin, Collins, Hartley, Franks, Sweeey, Murray, Monkhouse, Howard, Poole

Subs: McHugh, Baldwin, Humpreys, Holden, Walton, Lynch, James

Carlisle: Gillespie, Simek, Murphy, Edwards, Chantler, McGovern, Thirlwell, Berrett, Robson, Cadamarteri, Jervis

Subs: Colin, Livesey, Madden, Potts, Beck, Symington, O’Halloran

Referee: J Adcock

Pools made a bright start, having the better of the early exchanges.

They had the first sight of the opposition goal when Peter Murphy felled Steve Howard just outside the Carlisle box.

It was a good position to shoot from. And while Evan Horwood beat the wall, his shot at goal was weak and two yards wide of Mark Gillespie’s left-hand post.

It was all Pools early on with Antony Sweeney just unable to reach a Carlisle backpass while Jon Franks header from 15 yards was tame and Gillespie collected comfortably.

Carlisle were saw little of the ball in the first half.

But when they did, they were dangerous and Robson flashed a hard cross in front of the goal he used to defend.

Fortunately, no Cumbrian was on hand to force it home.

Robson then had the best Carlisle opportunity of the first period. Scott Flinders failed to deal with a high ball into the box. It fell to Robson and after steadying himself to shoot, Flinders had recovered and saved well from the midfielder.

Thereafter Pools took firm control and bossed play with some excellent attacking football.

Howard was a handful to the away defence while James Poole was a lively accomplice.

Out wide, Monkhouse and Franks were seeing plenty of the ball.

Pools dazzled in the sunshine and all that was missing was a goal.

But it finally arrived five minutes from half-time.

POOLE got on the end of Howard’s assist and smashed his left-foot shot past Gillespie from 10 yards.

Carlisle tried to come back through the wily Cadamarteri and the Cumbrians won a rare corner.

However, Pools were soon back on the attack and Gillespie got down well from Howard’s header while Sweeney headed over at the far post from Franks’ long cross.


Pools 1

Carlisle 0

Pools had an amazing escape six minutes after the break when they gifted a chance to Jake Jervis.

The on loan striker took the ball wide and had the whole goal to aim at, but remarkably, hit the Rink End stand instead of the target.

Jervis was closer with his next effort but his header was straight at Flinders.

It was to be the youngster’s last contribution as he made way for Mark Beck on 57 minutes.

Seconds later it was almost 2-0 but Gillespie was able to block Monkhouse’s fierce volley after a super Pools counter-attack.

Sweeney then went wide with a header from Austin’s cross and Howard was unlucky to see a 12 yard shot come back off the bar following Austin’s ball into the box.

But it all went horribly wrong inside two minutes.

Horwood fouled Cadamarteri and Flinders could not hold David Symington’s low free kick from 25 yards. And CADAMARTERI was on hand to slote home 75th minute equaliser.

Within two minutes Pools were down to 10 men when Austin was sent off.

The right back, already booked, was shown a second yellow for tripping Robson, just seconds after the referee waved away Pools claims for a foul on Howard.

Pools also lost centre-half Peter Hartley with a bad bout of cramp, forcing a re-shuffle.

And they were still in a mess and when ROBSON found himself unmarked at the far post from Symington’s cross and he drove in an 84th minute winner.