Nialle Rodney scores for Hartlepool United but reserves lose 5-1 at Hull City

IMPRESSIVE: Lewis Hawkins (right)
IMPRESSIVE: Lewis Hawkins (right)

HARTLEPOOL United reserves battled to the bitter end at Hull City where they experienced a tough evening at the hands of strong Tigers outfit.

Hull clinched a 5-2 victory to move them closer to the league title.

The Tigers led 5-0 at one point and looked capable of scoring even more.

But the young Pools side, strengthened by the presence of first-team men Jack Compton and James Poole, never gave up.

Indeed they finished strongly with goals by Nialle Rodney and sub Ben Wignall.

Director of youth, John Hewitson, was in charge of the side and said it was a hard night for the side.

“I think it was a fair result,” Hewitson told SportMail.

“Hull had quite a strong team out and were probably the toughest opposition we’ve had this season at reserve level.

“Up until half-time we were quite competitive. But we made a few individual mistakes and conceded some sloppy goals.

“But I was really pleased how we stuck at it. When it was 5-0 it could possibly have been even more if Hull had gone up through the gears.

“But we had a couple of chances and we took them and finished well.”

Conor Henderson put Hull in front inside the first quarter of an hour.

But Pools went close when Dan Jones headed over from a corner while James Poole shot straight at the home keeper.

Home striker Matthew Fletcher headed in the second home goal before Greg Rutherford struck the bar at the other end .

Pools conceded twice early in the second half and Henderson scored their fifth mid-way through the half.

But sub Wignall set up Rodney who finished neatly to make it 5-1. And it was Wignall found the home net two minutes from time when Poole flicked on a Compton corner.

It capped an impressive appearance for Wignall, while there was a good reserve debut at right-back for 16-year-old Wearsider Jonny Carr.

Lewis Hawkins, who gave a bright display as a late sub in the League Two win over Torquay United on Saturday, was industrious in the Pools midfield at North Ferriby last night.

Compton, Poole and Rodney all played the full 90 minutes, while triallist Jordan Deacey played just over an hour.

Pools: Foden, Carr, Turner, Hawkins, Rowbotham (Nellis 63), Jones, Poole, Deacey (Wignall 63), Rodney, Rutherford (Smith 72), Compton.

Subs not used: Boagey, Green.