Paynter seals Hartlepool win at Fleetwood

Billy Paynter celebrates his goal
Billy Paynter celebrates his goal
Share this article

Billy Paynter headed Hartlepool United into the second round of the Capital One Cup with a superb 1-0 victory at Fleetwood Town.

The new skipper had set Pools on the way to victory with the opening goal in the 2-0 success over Morecambe on Saturday in League Two.

But at Highbury, the unmarked striker headed in Jake Carroll’s 57th-minute free-kick to upset the League One side.

Pools had to survive some laste scares, with Adam Bartlett making three brilliant saves, but it was a deserved win for the League Two side.

Sam Collins named an unchanged side at Fleetwood Town after taking charge of Pools for tonight’s Capital One Cup tie.

Collins was holding the reins after boss Ronnie Moore flew to Spain to be with daughter, Charlotte, who was taken ill on holiday.

The blues, cheered on by greatest living Pools fan Jeff Stelling, showed their positive intent by sticking with their 4-3-3 formation, with Fenwick, Bingham and Paynter up front.

There were no real early problems for Pools, full-back Danny Andrew going well wide of Bartlett’s left-hand post from a 30-yard free-kick.

The only other real scare was an injury to Harry Worley but after treatment from physio Ian Gallagher he was fit to continue.

However, the first real danger for Pools was not far off as Antoni Sarcevic fired a low ball across the six-yard box from the right but no-one was there to put it in.

Pools had their opening sight as Fenwick saw a 20-yarder blocked by Stephen Jordan, while at away end, the away side had a let-off as Jamie Proctor put a free header wide from Sarcevic’s cross from the right.

But Pools were building nicely with Michael Woods having a 26th-minute shot blocked by Jordan while keeper Chris Maxwell made a save from Nicky Featherstone’s effort from a narrow angle.

The good spell continued as Jake Carroll sent a fierce 23-yard free-kick just over Maxwell’s bar after Fenwick was fouled.

Pools won three corners in a short space of time and, while they came to nought, it showed they were not in Lancashire to make up the numbers.

And Bingham spurned a gilt-edged 29th-minute chance to put his team in front, side-footing wide from inside the Fleetwood box after being expertly set up by Paynter.

Fleetwood were no mugs either and they threatened after neat interplay between Bell and Ryan but Declan McManus could not connect at far post.

The rest of the first half was more notable for an unhappiness with the match officials, particularly referee Gary Sutton who dished out yellow cards to Sarcevic, Paynter and Magnay.


Fleetwood Town 0

Pools 0

There was excitement for Pools in the 54th minute when Maxwell tipped over for a corner after Fenwick turned Egert Jonsson superbly and shot high towards goal.

Unfortunately for Pools, Worley could not get a clean connection to his header from Carroll’s corner from the right

But Pools were ahead in the 57th minute through PAYNTER.

Bingham was fouled down the right by Andrew which allowed Carroll to put over his left-foot delivery from the free-kick which the Pools skipper headed home from six yards.

Pools had 2-0 for the taking on the hour when Fenwick had a one-on-one with Maxwell but the keeper saved the striker’s right-foot shot.

Alexander made a double-change just on the mid-point mark, sending on striker David Ball and attacking midfielder Bobby Grant.

It gave the League One side - and fans - a lift but Pools were defending well.

Keeper Bartlett clearly knew his angles after leaving a McManus shot which flashed wide of his left-hand stick.

And he was pretty good at shot stopping too as he proved with a sensational double save from Ball in the 76th minute.

Ball looked favourite to score from the first attempt which Bartlett clawed away and seemed certain to net seconds later when the ball came back into the six-yard box, but thye Geordie saved again.

Pools had another glorious chance to seal the tie in the 86th minute when Bingham set up Woods but the midfielder went over from 12 yards.

There were two late scares as Bartlett palmed over a Grant free-kick while the Fleetwood sub saw another dead-ball attempt hit the bar from an almost identical position in the first minute of stoppage time.

But Pools played out the remainder of added time with no further problems for a great victory.


Fleetwood Town 0

Hartlepool United 1

Fleetwood Town: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Jordan, Jonsson, Andrew, Della-Verde (Grant 68), Sarcevic, Ryan, Bell (Sanogo 79), McManus, Proctor (Ball 68).

Subs: Pond, Grant, Sanogo, Deacon, Ball, Sowerby, Arestidou

Pools: Bartlett, Duckworth, Harrison, Worley, Carroll, Magnay, Featherstone, Woods, Fenwick, Paynter (Oates 85), Bingham.

Subs: Denton, Bates, Nelson-Addy, Nearney, Hawkins, Oates, Smith

Goal: Paynter 57

Referee: Gary Sutton

Attendance: 1822 (Pools 278)