Portsmouth 4 Hartlepool United 0: Match report

Mikael Mandron: Late threat
Mikael Mandron: Late threat

Hartlepool United suffered their heaviest defeat of the season at rampant Portsmouth.

Caolan Lavery put Pompey on their way with a superb 33rd-minute strike but their second goal was an OG from Adam Jackson.

After the break, Pools began well and it was against the run of play that Gareth Evans made it 3-0 just before the hour, Marc McNulty getting the fourth in the final minute.

There were a couple of corners at the start, one at each end, the Pools flag-kick won by Rakish Bingham, who had been preferred up front to Mikael Mandron.

Bingham had the first shot of the afternoon from outside the box but Brian Murphy got down to his left to save comfortably.

And Bingham had a great chance to put Pools ahead in the 11th minute when ex-Pools defender Christian Burgess lost the ball.

The Pools striker took off towards goal only to prod his shot wide of Murphy's left post.

Marc McNulty had the first shot for Pompey but his attempt from well outside box was easily caught by Carson.

Pompey were having a good spell but Davies went wide with a 25-yard free-kick while Bennett was off-target from edge of box after a good turn.

But Portsmouth were in front on 33 minutes.

Bennett and McNulty combined to tee up LAVERY, whose shot from the edge of the box gave Carson no chance, the ball going in the keeper's left corner.

It was 2-0 within four minutes and this time it was luck rather than skill.

JACKSON was unlucky, firing past Carson from six yards as he tried to cut out a super cross from the right by Davies.

Pools needed a goal and they went close two minutes from the break when Scott Fenwick's left-foot from edge of box was clawed out of his top corner by Murphy.


Portsmouth 2

Pools 0

Pompey had the first chance of the second period when Gareth Evans shot wide from a good position.

But Pools had a glorious opportunity on 53 minutes when Jake Carroll delicious cross, Bates unmarked can't get head to it.

There was some good possession play by Pools but final ball did not match the build-up.

And, against the run of play, Portsmouth made it 3-0 on 61 minutes.

Carson made a tremendous save from McNulty, only for EVANS to bury home the loose ball into the goalie's bottom left corner.

Despite being out of the contest, Pools kept going but they could not find a goal.

Moore made a double change 15 minutes from time, bringing on M andron ands Brad Walker for Fenwick and Carl Magnay.

There was a sniff for Pools in the 78th minute when Oates crossed from the left but the keeper held it under pressure from Mandron.

But there was a better chance seven minutes from time when Featherstone showed great footwoork before taking too long to shoot and was crowded out by three defenders.

Pools conceded a fourth in the last minute, when Enda Stevens threaded through a great ball and McNULTY finished with aplomb.

Portsmouth: Murphy, Davies, Webber, Burgess (Clarke 85), Stevens, Doyle, Hollands, Evans, McNulty, Bennett (Tollitt 75), Lavery (McGurk 80).

Unused Subs: Bass, Chaplin, Close, Haunstrup

Goals: Lavery 33, Jackson OG 37, Evans 61, McNulty 90

Pools: Carson, Duckworth, Jackson, Bates, Carroll, Featherstone, Gray, Magnay (Walker 75), Fenwick (Mandron 75), Oates, Bingham

Unused subs: Bartlett, Richards, Harrison, Woods, Smith

Booked: Bingham 59, Mandron 85

Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffs)

Attendance: 15,610 (145 away)