Scott Fenwick scores in Hartlepool reserves win over Doncaster Rovers

Scott Fenwick makes his Football League debut against Southend United. Picture by FRANK REID
Scott Fenwick makes his Football League debut against Southend United. Picture by FRANK REID

SCOTT Fenwick made a goalscoring return for Hartlepool United as the reserves beat Doncaster Rovers 2-0 to extend their unbeaten run to five games.

Fenwick, who played the full 90 minutes, took just 14 minutes to find his goalscoring form after almost two months out with an ankle injury.

His return has boosted watching Ronnie Moore’s options ahead of the League Two clash with York City, with Jordan Hugill battling to be fit after an eye injury.

The 24-year-old striker hasn’t played for Pools since January but made his return at Bedford Terrace alongside Matthew Bates, also returning after two months out with a thigh injury.

Assistant manager Sam Collins was pleased to see the pair return.

He said: “It’s good for us that they are back involved and they’re both keen to play their part but we have to progress them gradually because they have been out for a while.”

Collins named a strong line-up with Tommy Miller, Marvin Morgan, Jack Compton and Stuart Parnaby all starting alongside Bates and Fenwick.

There was little to separate the two sides in the opening stages, Morgan guilty of miscontrolling a couple of passes while Compton was ruled offside twice in quick succession.

But Compton soon turned provider, crossing for Fenwick to flick the ball over Marko Marosi to give the reserves the lead from close range.

It was a typical Fenwick finish.

Strike partner Morgan should have doubled the lead 10 minutes later, he received the ball from Kieran Green inside the area, turned well before seeing his shot saved 12-yards out.

Pools’ midfield pairing of Miller and Bates may have lacked pace but they weren’t troubled too much by Rovers as Pools looked to add to their lead.

Darren Holden ran the length of the pitch before seeing his tame effort saved easily.

It finally came through Nelson-Addy, who showed great pace and composure before sidefooting the ball past the Rovers stopper from 15-yards.

Nelson-Addy was involved in everything and impressed with his energy as Pools took their 2-0 lead into the break.

Pools started the second-half slowly and they had Jonathan Maxted to thank for denying Rovers early on.

He twice saved low from Jack McKay as the light faded at Bedford Terrace.

Up the other end, captain Jordan Richards fired a fine effort just wide of the left-hand post after meeting a cross on the half-volley.

Clear cut chances for Pools were hard to come by but they continued to dominate the play, Miller making several interceptions as he looked to press his claims for a first team recall following a calf injury.

Richards went close with a curling 20-yard free-kick, palmed away by Marosi, while Fenwick saw a header deflected wide from close range.

Maxted tipped a 25-yard Harry Middleton effort over in the dying minutes as Pools held on for a 2-0 win in the Final Third Development League fixture.

Pools: Maxted, Richards (C), Green (Turnbull, 55), Parnaby, Holden, Compton, Bates, Miller, Nelson-Addy, Fenwick, Morgan.

Subs: Dawson, Blackford, Jewson, Skidmore.

Scorer: Fenwick (14), Nelson-Addy (32)

Doncaster: Marosi, Lund, Carberry (Greasley, 67), Head, McKay, Mbuti, Ferguson, Middleton (C), McKay, Manderville (Pugh, 63), Parkin.

Subs: McLaren, Pugh, Barker, Longbottom.

Booked: Mbuti (42)