Seven up for Hartlepool at Billingham Town

Rakish Bingham netted twice tonight
Rakish Bingham netted twice tonight

Hartlepool United ran out comfortable winners in their first pre-season friendly after putting seven past Billingham Town.

It was a comfortable night for Ronnie Moore’s squad against their Northern League neighbours, with new signings Harry Worley, Billy Paynter, Rakish Bingham and Jake Carroll all getting on the scoresheet.

The hosts had no answer at Bedford Terrace.

Pools started the match in a 3-5-2 formation, with Carl Magnay right wing-back and triallist Johnny Giles down the left.

Michael Duckworth, Worley and Stuart Parnaby - who has been training with the club since being released - made up the back three.

Paynter partnered Scott Fenwick up front, with ex-Mansfield Town and Yeovil Town midfielder Fergus Bell, 24, and Hull City youngster Leon Dawson the other two triallists in the starting line-up.

Fenwick and Bell had the best chances in the opening stages, Fenwick forcing a save while Bell drilled his shot wide of the post.

The former Dunston frontman missed another glorious chance moments later, heading wide before failing to connect with a Bell centre.

It wasn’t long before Pools got the goal they deserved, WORLEY nodding Giles’s right-wing corner home from six-yards in the 17th minute.

Fenwick almost doubled the lead 10 minutes later, but his low shot was deflected onto the crossbar by Town keeper Shaunny Scotter.

Just past the half hour mark, PAYNTER made it 2-0 from the penalty spot. He had been bundled over by Stephen Hodgson.

Both Paynter and Fenwick had further chances to extend the lead before the half-time whistle and wholesale changes.

Half-Time: Billingham Town 0 Pools 2

Moore changed all 11 players at the break, with new signings Peter Denton, winger Kudus Oyenuga, defender Carroll and strikers Bingham and Rhys Oates all given game time.

Billingham Town also changed keepers, with Chris Davison coming on for Scotter at the break.

And he defied his large frame in the opening minutes, acrobatically tipping over a delicate Oates effort to keep the score at 2-0.

Oates was involved in Pools’ third goal of the night.

He was played through and hit a low attempt, saved well by Davison, but the ball deflected to BINGHAM who made it count from six-yards out.

Carroll was impressing down the left-flank and moments later he cut the ball back across the box only for a Billingham defender to deflect it wide of the post.

CARROLL got his moment of glory in the 69th minute - finishing off the move of the match.

Nicky Featherstone, Bingham and Lewis Hawkins were all involved in the build-up, the ball eventually falling to Carroll who picked his spot with aplomb.

Brad Walker added a fifth in the 81st minute, dancing around the keeper before slotting the ball home.

Walker scored his second a few minutes later before BINGHAM scored his second to make it 7-0.

It was a comfortable night for Moore’s men, as the countdown to the season opener on August 8 continues.

Pools head to Harrogate Railway on Tuesday night (KO 7pm), with Moore set to give his squad 45 minutes each again.

Full-Time: Billingham Town 0 Pools 7

Pools First Half (3-5-2): Carson, Magnay, Duckworth, Worley, Parnaby, Bell, Nelson-Addy, Dawson, Giles, Fenwick, Paynter.

Pools Second Half (4-4-2): Denton, Richards, Bates, Nearney, Oyenuga, Featherstone, Carroll, Hawkins, Walker, Bingham, Oates.

Goals: Worley (17), Paynter (33), Bingham (63, 87), Carroll (69), Walker (81, 84).

Billingham Town: Scotter (Davison, 45), Stepleson, McCarthy, Taylor, Hodgson, Doyle, Butterworth, Lambert, Bonner, Lustman, O’Sullivan.