Wrexham 0 Hartlepool United 0: Match report, good point for Pools

Devante Rodney puts the pressure on the Wrexham defence. Picture by Steven Flynn/ AHPIX
Devante Rodney puts the pressure on the Wrexham defence. Picture by Steven Flynn/ AHPIX

Craig Harrison made a happy return to Wales when Hartlepool United extended their unbeaten run to four games with a battling draw at Wrexham.

Pools arrived at the Racecouse Ground on the back of three straight wins and came close to making it four on a foul night when Storm Eileen hit North Wales.

Jonathan Franks saw a right-foot shot on the hour come back off the crossbar while Devante Rodney was denied by keeper Callum Preston soon after.

Harrison had made his managerial name with six seasons of unparalled success down the road at The New Saints, and he will have been delighted with a third clean sheet in four matches.

It was another good night for Pools who had gone into the game on the back of three straight wins and only one goal conceded.

Harrison made one change to Saturday's winning XI, bringing in Rhys Oates up front after Connor Simpson took a knock.

Simpson did travel to North Wales but was not risked, while there was a change on the bench where defender Louis Laing returned to the squad.

Wrexham lost their second keeper of the season with Christian Dibble, son of ex-Wrexham and Pools stopper Andy, ruled out so on-loan Roberts came in for his debut.

Up front, boss Dean Keates replaced Ntumba Massanka with Scott Boden.

Pools, playing into the driving rain and wind, made a steady start with Oates heading over from a cracking Nicky Deverdics delivery.

Harrison continually switched his three forwards around Rodney ran hard, only to be crowded out by three defenders.

Pools were seeing plentty of the opposition third of the field and Oates skimmed a header wide from a Deverdics corner.

Wrexham did pick up their form as the half wore on with Sam: Wedgbury shooting high over the bar from long range while skipper Shaun Pearson's header from a corner was comfortably taken by Loach.

Franks came agonisingly close to a fourth goal in four games on the hour when he struck the Wrexham bar after a great ball into the danger area from Rodney.

Pools forced two corners in quick succession and soon had the best chance of the contest when Rodney only had the keeper to beat, but shot straight at Preston who made a strong stop.

And the Dragons went straight upfield and almost stole one on the counter-attack, Loach diving low to his right to keep out Alex Reid's powerful left-foot drive.

The home side forced a few corners but Pools finished the match confidently and were well worth their point.




Wrexham: Preston, Roberts, M Smith, Carrington, Rutherford, Wedgbury, Wright, L Smith (Holroyd 46), Boden (Mackreth 66), Reid (Massanka 80)

Booked: Wedgebury 64, Pearson 88

Pools: Loach, Magnay, Ledger, Watson, Deverdics, Featherstone, Hawkins, Woods, Rodney (Donaldson 74), Oates (Laing 86), Franks.

Subs: Donnelly, Laing, Newton, Munns, Donaldson

Referee: Joe Johnson

Attendance 4,144 (132 away)