Wycombe 2 Hartlepool 1: Carl Magnay sent off as Pools suffer league defeat

Hartlepool United manager Ronnie Moore and Sam Collins looking on from the side line
Hartlepool United manager Ronnie Moore and Sam Collins looking on from the side line

Hartlepool United’s awful run against Wycombe Wanderers continues after a 2-1 defeat at Adams Park.

Pools have now lost the last eight matches against the Chairboys and a double from Michael Harriman succumbed Ronnie Moore’s side to another defeat.

Carl Magnay - later sent off for violent conduct - had equalised for Pools as the sides went in level at the break.

But Harriman popped up with the winner on 56 minutes as Pools extended their winless run to three league games.

It was a frantic start with Wycombe on the front foot from the off, putting pressure on the Pools back line with Michael Harriman heavily involved.

Harriman narrowly failing to connect with a deep cross after three minutes.

The game was wide open, with Garry Thompson then driving an effort inches wide of the post.

It wasn’t all Wycombe though, with Jake Carroll forcing Matt Ingram into a good save 12 minutes in, Carroll shooting straight at the stopper.

The pace was breathless, with Harriman again going close before Adam Bartlett was called on to make a smart save from Thompson, the ball deflecting for a corner.

From the resulting set piece, Carroll cleared Hayes’s flicked effort off the line.

Michael Woods had a volley saved up the other end before the breakthrough finally came in the 26th minute.

Hayes flicked the ball to HARRIMAN on the edge of the area and he drilled a lot shot first time into the corner of the net past the outstretched hand of Bartlett.

Pools, to their credit, kept pressing and Paynter saw a header cleared off the line.

They continued to press and the equaliser came through MAGNAY’S first goal for the club 43 minutes in.

He started the move, played an interchange with Bingham, before continuing his run into the box and scooping the ball over Ingram.

It looked like it took a possible deflection but the 187 Pools fans behind the goal didn’t care one bit.

Paynter, from a tight angle, then smashed an effort off the post moments before the half-time whistle.

Half-Time: Wycombe 1 Pools 1

Wycombe restored their lead in the 56th minute, Dan Jones held off Harriman and the pacy wideman picked his spot to curl a fine effort past Bartlett.

Bartlett couldn’t get near the ball as it sailed into the top corner.

Paynter, who looked to be uncomfortable as the sides went off at the break, was subbed after the goal went in, Scott Fenwick on in his place.

Kudus Oyenuga replaced Dan Jones with 20 minutes to go, Carroll dropping into left-back.

Oates forced Ingram into a low save after 70 minutes, following a good lay-off from Bingham on the edge of the area. Oates hit his effort straight at the keeper.

The Pools players were incensed with Max Kretzschmar’s attempts to win a penalty, Bartlett clearly got his hand to the ball after a corner.

Wycombe were doing their best to wind the clock down and it got worse for Pools, with Magnay shown a straight red after 86 minutes.

He grappled with Wycombe sub Ryan Sellers and had his arm around his neck as they both fell to the floor, referee Darren Deadman flashing a straight red.

Pools couldn’t find a way through, with Wycombe extending their run to eight straight victories over Pools.

Full-Time: Wycombe 2 Pools 1

Wycombe (4-4-2): Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Donacien, Rowe, Harriman, Bean, O’Nien, Banton (Sellers, 75), Thompson, Hayes (C) (Kretzschmar, 61).

Subs Not Used: Lynch, McGinn, Bloomfield.

Booked: Harriman (82)

Goals: Harriman (26, 56)

Pools (4-4-2): Bartlett, Magnay, Harrison, Worley, Jones (Oyenuga, 68), Oates (Smith, 80), Woods, Featherstone, Carroll, Bingham, Paynter (Fenwick, 56).

Subs Not Used: Denton, Boyce, Hawkins, Nelson-Addy.

Booked: Woods (48), Bingham (77), Oyenuga (90)

Off: Magnay (86)

Goals: Magnay (43)

Referee: Darren Deadman (Cambridgeshire)

Attendance: 3,468 (Pools 187)