Yeovil Town 1 Hartlepool Utd 2: Brad back to seal Pools success

Brad Walker
Brad Walker

Brad Walker fired in an 83rd-minute goal to get Hartlepool United back to winning ways.

The League Two battle at Huish Park looked to be heading for a 1-1 draw when the supersub netted after fellow sub Kudus Oyenuga miss-hit his shot.

Pools had taken a 32nd-minute lead through Scott Fenwick who headed in Jake Carroll’s free-kick.

But Yeovil were level inside five minutes, ex-Pools loan striker Ryan Bird scoring from Jake Howells’ cross.

But Walker had the final word.

The sun might have been bright sun, but the start was not.

There was little to report early on, bar one good tackle by Matty Dolan on Rhys Oates who was running into home box.

Yeovil were not too threatening either, Adam Bartlett palming away a Josh Sheehan free-kick.

Sheehan was eager to impress on his debut and fired over the Pools bar from edge of box with the first attempt of the match in the 14th minute.

Four minutes later, a deep Halliday cross was just too strong for Fenwick at the far post.

Pools went in front in the 32nd minute with a whodunnit.

Billy Paynter had been fouled down the right by Jakub Sokolik. Once a bit of handbags calmed down, CARROLL put over his cross towards Fenwick.

It seemed to elude everyone and end up in the back of Artur Krysiak’s goal, with Fenwick also claiming it.

Alas, the lead lasted only five minutes.

Jake Howells got a cross in from the left too easily and BIRD was at the back post to score from eight yards.

Pools put together two nice moves.

The first saw an inter-change between Paynter and Fenwick, but Paynter’s left foot effort was a poor one.

Paynter then looked to get Michael Woods into the home area, only for Sheehan to nick the ball.


Yeovil 1

Pools 1

Pools put together a good move initiated by Fenwick which ended with Woods shooting straight at keeper from edge of box.

The crowd behind goal appealled for a 54th-minute penalty after Carroll had hold of Cornick, but referee Fred Graham thought otherwise.

The first corner arrived in the 58th minute and it went Pools way.

Scott Harrison got up to win it but headed over from Woods flag kick.

There was a chance for Yeovil in the 64th minute when Woods conceded a free-kick and picked up his fifth booking of the season in the process.

From Dolan’s well-struck free-kick, Bartlett saved down to his left with Sokolik putting the rebound wide.

Ronnie Moore made his first change in the 65th minute, replacing Fenwick with Oyenuga.

Yeovil won their first corner 16 minutes from time but Pools cleared via Bates and Paynter.

There was a chance for Pools in the 76th minute but Paynter could not get on end of Featherstone’s cross with the home keeper no where near it.

Ronnie Moore made his second change bringing on Brad Walker for Woods and what an impact from the teenager.

Halliday found Paynter who laid the ball back to Featherstone. The midfielder put the ball through to Oyenuga.

The sub made a real hash of his shot but it fell kindly to WALKER who beat Krysiak to his left.

Pools played out time with some comfort to take their fourth victory of the season.




Yeovil: Krysiak, Roberts, Arthurworrey, Sokolik, Smith, Cornick, Sheehan, Dolan, Howells, Bassett (Allen 71), Bird

Subs: Weale, Gibbons, Allen, Fogden, Beck, Melanson

Goal: Bird 37

Pools: Bartlett, Halliday, Harrison, Boyce, Carroll, Bates, Featherstone, Woods (Walker 80), Oates (Smith 90), Paynter, Fenwick (Oyenuga 65). Subs: Denton, Jones, Nearney, Hawkins

Referee: Fred Graham

Att: 3,078 (away 79)