York City 1 Hartlepool United 2: Pools rally for superb victory

Hartlepool marksman Billy Paynter
Hartlepool marksman Billy Paynter

Never-say-die Hartrlepool United fought back from conceding their first goal of the season to win at York City.

Reece Thompson had put York ahead in the 57th minute with a close range finish for his first goal for the club.

But Bill Paynter brought Pools level on 70 minutes with a stunner before York lad Michael Woods grabbed the winner nine minutes from time.

York City: Flinders, Winfield, Zubar, Lowe, McCoy, Summerfield, Penn, Berrett, Tutonda, Thompson (Hyde 76), Oliver. Subs: Ingham, McCombe, Nolan, Carson, Straker, Hyde, Godfrey

Pools: Bartlett, Duckworth, Harrison, Worley (Bates 8), Carroll, Magnay, Featherstone, Woods (Walker 82), Fenwick, Paynter, Bingham (Oates 62). Subs: Denton, Jones, Oyenuga, Walker, Smith, Oates

Referee: Seb Stockbridge

York were straight out of the blocks with McCoy winning a corner after just 20 seconds and Bartlett saving well at the near post from Oliver.

Pools suffered an early blow when Harry Worley limped off after being caught late by Reece Thompson, Matty Bates coming on in the eighth minute.

York were having the bulk of the play, Tutonda beating Duckworth, but no one in was in the six-yard box to convert his cross from the left.

Pools being forced to defend well, with Carroll making a flying block on a Summerfield shot.

At the other end, Bingham was denied by good Flinders save in 19th minute after the striker was put through by Flinders but the ex-Pools keeper blocked and then gathered at the second attempt.

But that was soon bettered by Adam Bartlett, who produced a breathtaking save from Oliver’s header from Tutonda cross, diving full length to his left.

York were piling on the pressure and blocks on the line by Carroll and Fenwick kept Pools at 0-0.

Pools went close in 34th minute when Winfield blocked Woods shot after delicious turn and seconds later Bingham was just wide of Flinders’ left-hand post.

The away side had a major escape in the 42nd minute when Winfield hit the bar following good work by Oliver.

However, Bingham was a threat with pace and he went narrowly wide of Flinders’ right-hand post in stoppage time from edge of box.


York City 0

Pools 0

Pools made a bright start to the second half, winning an early corner and having some of their best possession of the afternoon.

But it all went wrong in the 57th minute when they conceded their first goal of the season.

Pools appeared to have cleared the danger from a corner but the ball deflected off Harrison and fell kindly to THOMPSON who put the ball past Bartlett.

But Pools should have been level within two minutes. Paynter set up Fenwick but his shot, while low and on target was too close to Flinders who collected down to his left.

Bates headed wide from a 64th-minute Carroll corner, but Pools were level in the 71st minute thanks to a PAYNTER special.

Bingham picked Paynter out on edge of home box and the skipper curled a stunner into Flinders top left hand corner.

York’s play began to get a little ragged and it looked like being anyone’s game.

And Pools went in front nine minutes from time.

Bingham had room to manouevre on the right and he moved forward and played a great ball in. WOODS met it nicely though it needed a deflection off Winfield to beat Flinders.

Bartlett made one smart save down to his left from a Oliver shot, but played out time comfortably.


York City 1

Pools 2