Jonathan Woodgate quizzed on ex-West Ham defender and January transfer plans

Middlesbrough boss Jonathan Woodgate still hopes the club can make ‘one or two’ more signings this month but wouldn’t be drawn on reports linking Boro with defender Reece Oxford.

Saturday, 18th January 2020, 6:00 am
Updated Saturday, 18th January 2020, 6:05 am
Middlesbrough boss Jonathan Woodgate still hopes the club can make more signings in January.

It’s no secret the Teessiders are looking to sign another central defender in January, with suggestions Oxford could be available on loan.

The 21-year-old came through the academy at West Ham but signed a four-year deal with German club Augsburg in the summer.

Yet the versatile defender has made just eight Bundesliga appearances this season, with only two of those starts.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

When asked about Oxford following Boro’s 1-0 defeat at Fulham on Friday night, Woodgate said: “A lot of players get linked.

“When something happens I'll let you know. A lot of good players get linked with our club.

“A lot of centre-halves tick boxes, a lot of midfielders tick boxes, a lot of forward tick boxes.”

Boro completed their third signing of the January transfer window earlier this week following the arrival of goalkeeper Dejan Stojanovic from Swiss side St Gallen.

When asked how many more signings he expects Boro to make this month, Woodgate said: “Hopefully we’ll get a few in, one or two, let's see.”

Woodgate has also said striker Stephen Walker will be allowed to leave on loan, yet nothing appears forthcoming.

The 19-year-old has fallen down the pecking order following the loan arrival of Lukas Nmecha from Manchester City and Rudy Gestede’s return from injury.